Sexing Clown Panaque?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
NCE12940
I've donated: $20.00!
My cats species list: 7 (i:7, k:0)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:5)
Location 1: Midland
Location 2: Texas

Sexing Clown Panaque?

Post by NCE12940 »

Male?

female?

The other suspected female looks the same. Lousy photos - cellphone camera + essential tremors! The suspected male is the only one of the 3 that has the obvious odontodes; the other 2 are quite smooth.
Borbi
Expert
My articles: 4
My images: 64
My cats species list: 32 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 20
Location 1: Easton, PA
Location 2: United States

Re: Sexing Clown Panaque?

Post by Borbi »

Hi,

Your "female" is not a Panaqolus!
Looks more like some kind of Chaetostoma..
So, even if it is a female, they won't breed because they're not even of the same genus..

Cheers, Sandor
P.S.: the male indeed looks like a male. Can't make out the species, but it indeed looks like some kind of Panaqolus..
"What gets us into trouble is not what we don´t know.
It´s what we know for sure that just ain´t so."
--Mark Twain
NCE12940

Post by NCE12940 »

This is another photo, taken before I got them. (These fish were given to the LFS by a client who was moving and couldn't remember what they were.)
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

You mentioned a total of three fish. I agree with Sandor that the purported female may be Chaetostoma. But as far as I can see, the two fish in the last photo are both Panaqolus, not Chaetostoma Better photos of all three fish would help a lot.

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
NCE12940

Post by NCE12940 »

I agree re photo quality. I think what I'm going to have to do is just get the remaining fish at the LFS and photograph them there. There's no way I can get a good photo at home if the fish doesn't cooperate - which they're not prone to do of course. At the LFS I can hold the fish and have the clerk take a photo. (I'm getting these guys free with the stipulation that if they ever breed I'll share offspring with them. I'm already their main supplier for BNs and their clients seem to be impressed by the idea they can get locally-bred fish.) Anyway, at home there's no way I can hold the fish and photograph it at the same time what with my hand tremors.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”