Weird Ancistrus Brooding Behavior

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
vinman
Location 1: America, Bronx, NY
Location 2: America, Bronx, NY

Weird Ancistrus Brooding Behavior

Post by vinman »

Has anyone ever heard of a male BNP picking up & moving eggs in and out of their breeding cave.

I have a V shaped tree stump in my 45 high the right stump is hollow and thats where all my BNP breed. I just got a new adult male german super red on wedensday. He bred with my female on friday night because saturday morring he was sitting on eggs. I did a 85 to 90 % water Saturday after noon. When the water levle wnet down past the hole in the stump My male hit the road. I looked with a flash light and there were no eggs in the stump hole. As I was refilling the tank and the water level rose above the entrance to the stump the male went back inside and sure enough he was sitting on eggs. Now I maybe crazy but I know 100% he was sitting on eggs before the water change and there were no eggs left inside the stump hole when he jumped out of the stump hole. Only to finding him sitting on eggs when he went back inside. The only thing I can think of is that he carried the egg mass out of the stump hole when the water levle was too low and carried them back into the stump hole when the water level rose high enough for him to enter the stump hole,
Attachments
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.jpg

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”