L173 Spawn

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Re: L173 Spawn

Post by TwoTankAmin »

In going back and forth, I got a sweetened offer. I was asked if it would incline me to do the deal if I were allowed to keep the 6 fry I owe to owner. I think I sold the 4 that I allowed out too cheaply at $200 each (they were 1.5+ inch TL). And that was a discount. I am not sure what they are really worth. But considering how rare they appear to be, something in the $250 -$300 range seems like a better/more realistic number.

So, those six fish would reduce my cost for the deal by whatever I might sell them for- or $1,500 - $1,800. Somehow I think I might just hang onto them a while. It is hard to walk away from the idea that I would have 33 L173s in my tanks. And that doesn't even consider that as things here settle down, that I will get them spawning again or that the F1 group will be at spawning size next year.
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Post by TwoTankAmin »

After a lot of haggling, I own the fish. I know I probably overpaid. I did get all the fry which helps a bit.

Life has caused me not to be able to focus for any length of time on working with any of my groups. Home renovations, a few health issues etc. conspired against me. But this is ending and I have been trying to punch up feeding. I am getting spawns in many tanks, but not the 173 breeders. I for sure spotted two very fat females today while working on the tank. I may have to bring in Barry Whitefish to sing underwater love songs.......

My F1 group, acquired separately, has been morphing from the phase where many look zebra like to where they develop the zig-zag striping pattern I see on the 10 adults. I also saw all 9 of the 173 fry recently. They are all healthy looking and almost all appear nothing like they should grow up to look. I am torn between a desire to recover some of my costs and a desire to watch them grow for the next few years. Another spawn would make this decision much easier.
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
amazonaquatics
My cats species list: 48 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 10 (i:0, p:130)
Location 1: United States
Location 2: Rhode Island

Post by amazonaquatics »

Great news Chris! If you want to sell any more let me know. I will be up you end at the end of the month.
Joe M.
Amazon Aquatics

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”