Is the Rupununi river of Guyana considered a black water river? (L600)

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Cydone
Location 1: Denmark
Location 2: Denmark

Is the Rupununi river of Guyana considered a black water river? (L600)

Post by Cydone »

I wonder, since its brother L114, is certainly a black water inhabitant.

Anybody know more about the "difficulties" in catching the L600's? Is it mostly because of the logistics of getting to the Rupununi region, or do they live at great depths?

Im considering a black water biotope, and was wondering if L600 would fit, as well as the L114.

Thanks
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Re: Is the Rupununi river of Guyana considered a black water river? (L600)

Post by TwoTankAmin »

PATTERNS OF FISH DIVERSITY IN THE RUPUNUNI SAVANNAHS, GUIANA SHIELD
Crossing the divide
Rivers in this area, experience an average, annual change in water level of six metres (Watkins et al
2005). Including the Brazilian components of the Rupununi savannahs, the typical area flooded each
season is 3,095km2, for a period of 49 days (Hamilton et al 2002). One assumption made by this study, is
that fishes have the ability to cross these large expanses of shallow, inundated grassland. There are
several factors to consider when determining whether a species may have this ability. Firstly, and maybe
most importantly, the water chemistry of these two systems are markedly different. The Rupununi River is
categorised as ‘white water’;
the Ireng on the other hand is known as ‘black water’.
from https://guyanaconservationnetwork.files ... annahs.pdf

Hope that helps.
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Cydone
Location 1: Denmark
Location 2: Denmark

Re: Is the Rupununi river of Guyana considered a black water river? (L600)

Post by Cydone »

A good read for the morning coffee!

From that paper it would seem that the L600 does in fact live in white water, as opposed to L114, that lives in black water.

This is interesting, since it is also likely that the L600 is a migrant form of L114. It might be so that some L114 migrated north up through the Ireng river, from Rio Negro, and then, at an extreme high water level event, crossed the flooded savannas to rio Rupununi. Maybe they got stuck there and had to adapt, and so they did.

Thats higly suggestive ofcause, but very interesting stuff. They did find L600 in Rupununi, but none in the Ireng (a black water tributary)..

Thanks for the paper.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”