Identification Help Needed

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
LoneBlackWolf
Location 1: Saint Rose
Location 2: Louisiana USA

Identification Help Needed

Post by LoneBlackWolf »

The two browns on the left and the albino on the right were rescues about seven years ago off of Criagslist and were half the size they are now. The lighter one in the middle was my original pleco. He/she was sold as a common pleco but is twelve years old and is only around six inches and the smallest of the four. I know nothing about these guys other than they get way too big for most aquariums. The larger two will probably have to be re-homed soon because of this as they are nearing too big for the hundred gallon they share with two large fancy fantail goldfish. I was hoping to get to the bottom of why the two plecos in the middle are much smaller than the other two. I was thinking they aren't the common plecos they were sold as. But my research didn't turn up much. I did find this site however, so I was hopeful someone on here might know. They seem pretty healthy and eat like pigs.

1. Water parameters
a) Temperature range. 78f
b) pH. 7.4
c) GH. Don't Know
d) KH. Don't Know
e)Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite, levels. 0.25,0,0
f) Water change frequency 50% every two weeks.

2. Tank set up
a) Size. 100 gallons
b) Substrate. Gravel
c) Filtration. Two Aquatech 30-60
d) Furnishings. Random aquarium decor.
e) Other tank mates. Fantail Goldfish and Oranda Goldfish.
f) How long has it been set-up? 11 years
g) When was the last new fish added? 2 years ago
h) Foods used and frequency? Algae wafers twice daily, goldfish sinking pellets once daily

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”