Taking fish out for picture taking

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
squid
Location 1: Philippines.
Interests: Tropical fish, internet, swimming, sleeping...

Taking fish out for picture taking

Post by squid »

Anybody here take their fish out and put in a smaller container for picture taking and also tracking growth? I don't see my plecos much . I'd like to have some pictures for documenting their growth too :)

any tips? planning to scoop them into a small white basin and take their pictures.
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Re: Taking fish out for picture taking

Post by Bas Pels »

Years ago I did this with a group of 20 cichlids. Every now and then I would catch them, measure them and release them back into the tank.

After a year I tried to make sens of the results - but I only managed to draw a line through them after I doctored the results - collecting the fishes must have stressed a lot, resulting in a week without any growth.

You can imagine this was the last time I did this. Now plecos might be less sensitive towards stress than cichlids - but I would not do it.
cats have whiskers
squid
Location 1: Philippines.
Interests: Tropical fish, internet, swimming, sleeping...

Post by squid »

thanks:) i don't see them much as they are in hiding while day, but the other day i saw one which i think has grown an inch :) so though of netting them in to basin with their aquarium water, maybe can also inspect for health problems .
Jobro
My cats species list: 12 (i:7, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Germany
Location 2: Allgäu

Post by Jobro »

I take my out every now and then (like once a year) if I get curious about how they doing.
follow my Plecos on Instagram: welsgefluester

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”