L24 coloration?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
DHarris
My cats species list: 69 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Los Angeles
Location 2: California

L24 coloration?

Post by DHarris »

Tried to find this out earlier with no luck, figured I'd try again and simplify my question.

Do L24 grow into their red coloration or are they born with it?

I've been seeing smaller ones around and most have barely any red. Of the large ones I see for sale or on line, some have bright fully red tails, just red streamers and other have barely any red and are solid green.

Given what I've seen in adults, I'm hesitant to purchase a small one that isn't already red as it leads me to believe it might not get the red. For example, I've recently come across one that's about 4"-5" and has gorgeous red streamers but a very dark tail. Might the whole tail turn red as it gets older or is this coloration the way it's going to look.

Is their coloration genetic, food based, both?

I have a gorgeous L114 that I bought at an inch with solid orange tail. Now it's 5" and just has the orange streamers. I also have a Leopardis (l600?) who other than getting some more orange across it's dorsal fin has had the same coloration the whole time. As these two have aged differently, I'm really curious what to expect from the L24.

Simply put, if I want a brightly red colored l24 and want to start with a small one, do I need to find a small one that's already got the red or just buy a little one give it good water quality and food and hope it colors up?

Thanks again for any advice!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”