L091 Aggression

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
CoryCatfish1212
My images: 5
My cats species list: 33 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 18 (i:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Michigan

L091 Aggression

Post by CoryCatfish1212 »

Hi,
I had a 75 gallon tank with a 10" rhino pleco, 2 5" L007's, a 4" spiny monster pleco, a 3" blue panaque, a 4" giraffe catfish, and 3 4" red tail catfish for a month in this tank without any problems from aggression partly due to the fact that the back or the tank is lined with caves and there is driftwood everywhere. (before you criticize me for the red tail catfish I will say I have 6 300 gallon cattle troughs and a 450 gallon tank currently running). Yesterday I put a 4" L091 into the 75 gallon because I was at a convention (the American cichlid association convention) and it needed a tank for the night. When I came down to the fish room to feed the fish there was a red tail catfish floating at the top without any fins and something had eaten some of its skin. My immediate response was to separate the L091 and now all of the fish in there are doing great like before. Does anyone know if the L091 could of done this? If so why did I have no problems with the L007's even though there are in the same genus and have similar behavior.

Also I planned to put a 6" green phantom pleco, a 6" blue phantom pleco, a 5" L235, a 4" L024, a 4" L114, a 6" L097, a 10" L025 the 2 L007's, the spiny monster pleco into a 150 gallon tank for a grow out with the L091 so they can go into a larger tank with larger fish. Does anyone think there would be problems with the L091 in this tank? I know that is a lot of plecos and it would be full of caves, driftwood, and pvc pipes.

Thanks for any insight.
Cydone
Location 1: Denmark
Location 2: Denmark

Re: L091 Aggression

Post by Cydone »

My initial thought would be to have 1 or maybe 2 different numbers in a 75 gallon, and you have what, 7?

Use those bigger tanks you have and put them into species groups, rather than having 1 of each. In my opinion, having 1 single member of 10 different numbers is a strange setup. So many habitats and feeding habits to adhere to. You end up making just 1 or 2 of them happy and the rest would be miserable.

I keep l091, and I don't believe it would attack anything other than an intruding male of the same number.

Anyway, I think most people in here would say "thats a hell of a mix you got there". Maybe that in itself puts stress on the fish.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”