What's on my Bristlenose?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Redrain
My cats species list: 13 (i:2, k:3)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:41)
My Wishlist: 57
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Kuwait
Location 2: Kuwait
Interests: SA/CA Cichlids, Gaming

Re: What's on my Bristlenose?

Post by Redrain »

fat meloe! wrote: 19 Sep 2017, 19:32
Jobro wrote: 15 Sep 2017, 21:10 Also, Redrain, please don't put plecos in an illuminated bare bottom tank. It is just not fair for the plecos.. they want it dark, and the light gets reflected from all sites of the tank. There is no shade at all...
I am not experienced with plecos, but judging from your tank pic I think that even with a dark bottom plecos would highly appreciate sleeping shelters which are more deep and enclosed. It could make the fishes less stressed and thus healthier.

Of course, redecorating the tank when fish are still unhealthy would terrify fish and probably cause additional problems.
Thanks for replying,
I will paint the outside of the bottom dark when I can.
Redrain

Post by Redrain »

So guys the fish is still alive but doesn't seem to be better. The skin on the pectorals is melting away and bone is showing.

So till now I've done a 90% wc and reduced feeding by alot (were overfeeding the past few days). I dose with melafix about 1.5 the recommended dose daily, I also dose a little bit of prime every day to make sure there's no harmful NH in the tank.

So I've got EM Erythromycin from API, is it safe for plecos and would it help anything?
I'm planning to dose the tank and keep the med sit for 7 days. The reason is that the amount I have is very limited and I don't think it would last if I did the package dosage. Cory from Aquarium Co op does it this way without problems. I also have api general cure also in a few amount.

I'm willing to save him even if I ended up with a deformed fish, I don't want to see him go
Redrain

Post by Redrain »

So guys the fish passed away...

Here's what happened and I want your thoughts: At the time I'm writting this it's Thursday 10PM. So yesterday I came home late at night and found one of the fry dead with his odontodes flared out. So I started preparing water to do a wc in the morning, and I did an 80% wc (temp matched, airated, dechlor.) And decided to medicate with Erythromycin, so I dumped 3 packets (tank is ~30gal), and turned the light off. And when I came back at 9pm he was belly up.. He was no longer with us. So did the antibiotic kill him? or the illness have drained his life? That's important because his wife and kids are still in the tank.

The weird part is his belly seemed to be bloated a bit, plus the disease have eaten parts that were not there from what he initially had. What is this disease?

Here's the fry from yesterday, he was active and eating

He was such a beautiful intelligent creature...
Jobro
My cats species list: 12 (i:7, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Germany
Location 2: Allgäu

Post by Jobro »

Sorry about your loss.

I don't think this fish had high chances to survive to begin with. When I first saw him and his infections I was pretty sure he would be dead in few days. So don't feel too bad about it. Nothing more you could have done to save him.

Is this thing right next to his mouth a part of skin missing or is something growing on him?

The fry had something red on his pectoral as well. Maybe an infection?

I really hope your remaining fish will be fine. I would refrain from doing waterchanges with more than 50%. It's probably more stress than help (in my oppinion). I would really add a fine layer of sand or gravel on the bottom of the tank. Your fish are probably feeling stress every day in this all open tank.

Reduce feeding further, only feed at night. Do 50% WC every second day. Keep out all medications. Add 1cm of sand to the bottom. (If possible, cloak 3 of the sides with something dark)

Never put in medicine at night when you can't see what happens to your fish. You might wake up to find all fish dead.
follow my Plecos on Instagram: welsgefluester
Redrain

Post by Redrain »

Jobro wrote: 22 Sep 2017, 21:28 Sorry about your loss.

I don't think this fish had high chances to survive to begin with. When I first saw him and his infections I was pretty sure he would be dead in few days. So don't feel too bad about it. Nothing more you could have done to save him.

Is this thing right next to his mouth a part of skin missing or is something growing on him?

The fry had something red on his pectoral as well. Maybe an infection?
Thank you for replying,
So what is this disease called?
The thing next to his mouth made a slight indentation in the skin, so most likely it's eating the skin.

For the bottom I've painted it black before he died, the day before I medicated.
But also Erythromycin shouldn't be harsh on scaleless fish from what I read. Some people use it on puffers.
If anyone can help me with identifying the disease that would be appreciated, I want to know about it so it doesn't happen to any of my other plecos.
fat meloe!
Location 1: Western
Location 2: USA

Post by fat meloe! »

Sorry for the loss. I am still mad over my own dead pleco, which got killed last spring.

How did you paint the tank? Describe the procedure. I have a feeling that the process of tank-painting severely terrified the fish, and instead of helping the fish it made things worse.
Redrain

Post by Redrain »

fat meloe! wrote: 27 Sep 2017, 21:18 Sorry for the loss. I am still mad over my own dead pleco, which got killed last spring.

How did you paint the tank? Describe the procedure. I have a feeling that the process of tank-painting severely terrified the fish, and instead of helping the fish it made things worse.
just took a brush and some black acrylic paint and did the outside of the panel. Didn't touch anything inside, plus the male was suspended in a net box, I dont think that mattered to him much. Also the other plecos actually were more out and about after painting, didn't notice any dashing or freaking out.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”