Sick L448

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
jodilynn
I've donated: $84.00!
My cats species list: 85 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 8 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 7
Spotted: 41
Location 2: BeeEffaEe, MI

Sick L448

Post by jodilynn »

I have been having a problem in my one 10 gallon tank. I have lost my platies and now this malady seems to have struck my L448 and my Betta. I had my water tested at the LFS and I do apologize, I didn't get any readings but they said the water was "perfect" and they could not find anything wrong ( they have the huge master test kit that tests everything). So I have no other info than that it is not a problem with my water that is causing this. I can tell you the tank is 77 degrees, my water is very hard, and ph is about 7.2. Undergravel filter, sponge filter, and HOB rated for a 20-30 gallon. Water changed regularly. Only other inhabitants are two Sterbei corys, a juvenile Angelfish that is growing out, and my recovering upside down catfish. These fish are not affected. Both the pleco and betta still have healthy appetites.
As you can hopefully see in the pictures, there is a white film covering my fish. I have had whatever this is strike other fish in other tanks; I lost a red tail shark with this after treating him with every known medicine, a betta in a different tank, and now these two in this tank. Please note I use different siphons for my tanks so I have no idea how various fish in different tanks got whatever this is, or why just certain fish get it.
I put salt in for 1 week to stimulate their slime coat, did a 50% water change and removed the carbon from the endcaps of my UGF and from the HOB, and I am now dosing both Pimafix and Melafix, and added a Catapa leaf (don't laugh; it saved one of my bettas that was suffering from some weird clamped fin malady).
Any ideas folks? I love my ornery little clown pleco and it would break my heart to lose her...
20171027_175230.jpg
Attachments
20171027_175157(1).jpg

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”