Help!Whats on my L128 blue phantom ls head?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
F15CathyShark
My cats species list: 4 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:1)
My Wishlist: 6
Location 1: Santa Rosa
Location 2: usa
Interests: draw, keep fishes, sewing

Help!Whats on my L128 blue phantom ls head?

Post by F15CathyShark »

My L128 (her name is Blueberry) has a white patch on her head, I'm not sure she is ill or injured. I have her for about a month, I got her from Arizona Aquatic Gardens.
I'm out of town this weekend for Thanksgiving and I'm going to quarantine her just incase she is sick.
She is my first L128 and I really want her to live long.
She is eating fine (she is on fluval bug bites and Xtreme Monster)

Her tank's water
gh=60mg/l
hh=60mg/l
nitrate=5
nitrite=0
ammonia=0 to 0.5
ph=7

MarcW
I've donated: $148.00!
My images: 4
My cats species list: 46 (i:9, k:19)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:1)
My BLogs: 12 (i:16, p:575)
My Wishlist: 55
Spotted: 42
Location 1: Hampshire
Location 2: UK

Re: Help!Whats on my L128 blue phantom ls head?

Post by MarcW »

Hi,

That's a nice looking fish, apart from the patch on it's head :-).

I had a similar patch on the head of one of my soon after I purchased one, I thought it was heater burn, from hiding behind the heater.

For now I would keep the water clean through regular water changes, the 0-0.5ppm Ammonia concerns me, it could be enough to cause the fish to become stressed and make the condition worse. So I would do a water change right away to get that down, then keep checking as regularly as you can, in case it gets worse, then hopefully we can make further suggestions.

I noticed you have a substrate for plants, is that new, could it be releasing some ammonia?

How long will you be away for over Thanksgiving?

Good luck.
F15CathyShark

Post by F15CathyShark »

MarcW wrote: 21 Nov 2017, 06:54 Hi,

That's a nice looking fish, apart from the patch on it's head :-).

I had a similar patch on the head of one of my soon after I purchased one, I thought it was heater burn, from hiding behind the heater.

For now I would keep the water clean through regular water changes, the 0-0.5ppm Ammonia concerns me, it could be enough to cause the fish to become stressed and make the condition worse. So I would do a water change right away to get that down, then keep checking as regularly as you can, in case it gets worse, then hopefully we can make further suggestions.

I noticed you have a substrate for plants, is that new, could it be releasing some ammonia?

How long will you be away for over Thanksgiving?

Good luck.
Hi,MarcW

Thank you for the suggestions.

I did a 5% water change after cleaning the substrates from left overs and fish poop today and tested my ammonia level again and it's back at 0.0ppm again. I'm using Marfied Controsoil as my substrate, I have it in this tank and my old nano tank which I teared down last weekend. Blueberry ate some food tonight, and her patch seem to be smaller then this morning.
Image (took during cleaning)
I also moved my heater up so she can't hid under it. My quarantine tank is a 10gal(38L) square tank runing on fluval HOB filter .
I will gone for thankgiving for 5 days, and I have a auto-freeder setted up for them.
MarcW

Post by MarcW »

Thanks for the extra pictures, the patch does seem to be smaller.

I've not heard of that substrate but it looked similar to ADA Aquasoil which I know can release small amounts of Ammonia into the water especially when it is new.

I would add some sort of cave, tunnel, or rock work that the fish can hide under, it may stop it trying to hide near the heater.

It looks like a good sized fish, for a trip of 5 days I wouldn't worry about feeding it. I would worry that the water conditions may deteriorate if uneaten food breaks down, or the auto feeder malfunctions, which could cause the injury to become worse if you aren't there to keep on top of things.

Once you are back I would try to target ~50% water changes every week, that is what I do for all of my tanks, however you may find that 30-40% weekly works for you, but the 5% change you mentioned is not enough to keep the conditions good long term.

Good luck and enjoy Thanksgiving.
Jobro
My cats species list: 12 (i:7, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Germany
Location 2: Allgäu

Post by Jobro »

Are you using CO2 in this tank? Please make sure to turn it off during night, thanks.

just like Marc, I would not be too keen on using the auto feeder. At least make sure it rather underfeeds than overfeeds. Like only 1/2 or 1/3 the amount of what you would feed when you were there.

I agree the fish need hiding/shelter places. The wound does look a little like it came from the heater. I would not be too concerned about that wound. Plecos have strong self healing abilities as long as the water is good and they don't suffer from stress or too little O2 / too much CO2.
follow my Plecos on Instagram: welsgefluester
Linus_Cello
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Washington DC

Post by Linus_Cello »

I’d also keep the tank dark and add extra aeration while you are away.
F15CathyShark

Post by F15CathyShark »

Jobro wrote: 21 Nov 2017, 11:15 Are you using CO2 in this tank? Please make sure to turn it off during night, thanks.

just like Marc, I would not be too keen on using the auto feeder. At least make sure it rather underfeeds than overfeeds. Like only 1/2 or 1/3 the amount of what you would feed when you were there.

I agree the fish need hiding/shelter places. The wound does look a little like it came from the heater. I would not be too concerned about that wound. Plecos have strong self healing abilities as long as the water is good and they don't suffer from stress or too little O2 / too much CO2.
Thank you, Jobro
I do have C02 for this tank but they are only on for 3 hours every morning.
Linus_Cello wrote: 21 Nov 2017, 15:08 I’d also keep the tank dark and add extra aeration while you are away.

Will do !
I actually do this to most of tanks when I'm gone
MarcW wrote: 21 Nov 2017, 09:49 Thanks for the extra pictures, the patch does seem to be smaller.

I've not heard of that substrate but it looked similar to ADA Aquasoil which I know can release small amounts of Ammonia into the water especially when it is new.

I would add some sort of cave, tunnel, or rock work that the fish can hide under, it may stop it trying to hide near the heater.

It looks like a good sized fish, for a trip of 5 days I wouldn't worry about feeding it. I would worry that the water conditions may deteriorate if uneaten food breaks down, or the auto feeder malfunctions, which could cause the injury to become worse if you aren't there to keep on top of things.

Once you are back I would try to target ~50% water changes every week, that is what I do for all of my tanks, however you may find that 30-40% weekly works for you, but the 5% change you mentioned is not enough to keep the conditions good long term.

Good luck and enjoy Thanksgiving.

Thanks again, Marc
I'm planning to made some holes myself, I usually do 5% every 3 days in this tank and 50% every 2 weeks , I totally will try to do a 40~50 in after I'm back.
Thomas1209
Location 1: Netherlands
Location 2: Noord-brabant

Post by Thomas1209 »

I have had similar issues with Rineloricaria parva before, far worse. I wouldn't worry too much, feed her little during the upcoming days and keep up on your water changes. Maybe you can lower the temperature a little bit during the time you're gone? This might slow down the process in case it does get worse.
F15CathyShark

Post by F15CathyShark »

Blueberry is doing well right now, her patch is almost all healed up! Thank you everyone for the help !
I'm planning to set up a 65 gal(246 L) for her(thinking about a ADA 90H) when I move to San Francisco in the next 2 years
MarcW

Post by MarcW »

Excellent, looking much better!

We'd be interested to know how the new tank setup goes in future, good luck.
Jobro
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Germany
Location 2: Allgäu

Post by Jobro »

Check your woods/roots. They seem to be heavily fungused...
follow my Plecos on Instagram: welsgefluester
F15CathyShark

Post by F15CathyShark »

Jobro wrote: 22 Nov 2017, 15:12 Check your woods/roots. They seem to be heavily fungused...
I'm actually not sure about what on them, I thought it's biofilm.....
Fundulopanchax76
My Wishlist: 2
Location 1: Bulgaria
Location 2: Sliven

Post by Fundulopanchax76 »

These fish really like water current ! Think about this too.
catfishchaos
My cats species list: 35 (i:25, k:4)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:6)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Halifax
Location 2: Nova scotia, Canada
Interests: Spearfishing, freediving, flyfishing, flytying, bowfishing, long boarding, archery, photography, reptiles, arachnids, catfish, cacti and succulents, exploration/travel, conservation and always acquiring more

Post by catfishchaos »

F15CathyShark wrote: 23 Nov 2017, 09:35
Jobro wrote: 22 Nov 2017, 15:12 Check your woods/roots. They seem to be heavily fungused...
I'm actually not sure about what on them, I thought it's biofilm.....
It is a fungus of sorts but it was my understanding that its harmless and that it goes away eventually as the fish cleaning it up (to no ill effect).
I can stop keeping catfish whenever I want. I just don't think I'll ever want to do that...

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”