sexing and reproducing L 15

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Caol_ila
My images: 53
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

sexing and reproducing L 15

Post by Caol_ila »

Hi!

I had this thread in the old forum, but im still interested in opinions.

I have these 2 Peckoltia cf. vittata of which i think its a male an a female. Although the supposed to be female could be a submissive male. Opinions are welcome.
this is what i think female, short head different coloration.
this is the male, much more orange fins and odontodes everywhere
Pic of the male also in the catelog.
Trying to find more of these fish but they arent very common here as it seems...

Ive set up a 60 litre tank for them. Driftwood, lavastones, pvc pipe and a strong current at the moment. Sand at 5 cm so that they can dig, which they do a lot.
Ive raised the temp to 29°C.
Feeding them with tabs and meaty frostfood.
Should i simulate rainfalls with destilled water? My gh is quite high at 14 right now.
greetings
C
Hope the pics work!
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 280
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

Male of the genus Peckoltia develop good odontals growth on the first ray ( the hard one), they are longer and more furnish than those on female.
Mature males develop also plated odontodes on the second half part of the body...
The interopercular growth are long in dominant males and short on submissive, still a bit longer than those on the female.
By the way how big are they?
Hope it help!
Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
Caol_ila

Post by Caol_ila »

Hi!

Id say 8 cm total
cheers
Christian
Yann
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!
So they must just starting to mature.
I know when they make the switch from juvenil to adult, some as already turn into mature fish and some are still in the juvenil phase.
I had problem for sexing some Hypancistrus sp L66 this way, I first tought to have a good mixup males and females, out of 6 fish, I have ended up with one sure female and 4 sure males and one that is still unclear as it seem to young but could well turn into a male as some features are male typical...That period is really tough for sexing your fish!!!
Cheers
Yann
Caol_ila

Post by Caol_ila »

yeah ive had the two for about half a year maybe a bit longer with them looking alike for the first part...for 2 months now they begin to look different. I have a very blurry pic while feeding where you can see and compare the heads.

cheers
Christian
Yann

Post by Yann »

Hi!
The one with a larger longer ( more flat looking) head should be a male.
THe female if being well fed and having matured eggs should be more rond in the ventral region when look from above!
The hard ray of the pectoral fin should be broader on the male!
I would say the one on the right is the male and the other one either a female or a still immature.
Head shape seem to be different but the one on the left does not seem to have a pretty rond ventral region!
Cheers
Yann

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”