Sturisoma panamense breeding

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
pan
My cats species list: 19 (i:4, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:4)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: Athens
Location 2: Greece

Sturisoma panamense breeding

Post by pan »

I' d like to share my first breeding attempt of sturisoma panamense which took place about three years ago. I bought the breeding group (1m-2f, about 5cm) as sturisoma panamense from the lfs so i kept this name. I have serious doubts about the given identity(....aureum propably), so if someone is in position to give a valid identification, feel free to say so.
Before i continue i would like to ask for your tolerance, as my english are a bit weak.

The tank that hosted the breeding group was 200lt big (80x50x50cm) and it was dedicated to sturisoma. Other species in the tank was a group (25) of cardinal tetra, L106x1, L162x3. The system was supported by two filters ( eheim 2215 and astro 2212) and an eheim jager thermocontrol of 250w. The water parameters were:
ph: 6,8
KH:2
NO2:0
NO3:10
temp.:27
The tank was planted with some roots of valisneria spiralis and americana, cryptocoryne wendetii and anubias. There was no co2 supply and the water was prepared by mixing r/o water with fresh and by the use of peat.
The breeding group made their first attempts of breeding about 1.5 year after i took them, and i didn't try to make good use of these attempts. Generally i like to give time to my fish and let time pass... As soon as i decided i should enter into, sturis started breeding. I collected the eggs of the first spawn to a breeding box where i had pretty good flow with the help of an air pump and i placed the box opposite to the exit of the filter. I also collected the eggs of the second birth which took place a few days later. I then placed both the eggs and the juvenile from the first birth, to a new tank of 50lt, where i managed to raise all of them.
It was indeed a really interesting experience and a great "school" for me, as i had to overcome various difficulties that came up. Feel free to ask whatever you want.
Attachments
PB110019_zps36d1clnq.jpg
PB030007_zpsf9gu9q7g.jpg
PB030009_zps7yafns69.jpg
PA310014_zpsezhc6s8a.jpg
PA310013_zpsqmqbxo23.jpg
pan

Re: Sturisoma panamense breeding

Post by pan »

At the last picture you can see one of these toddler after one year (or so), in a sajica raise tank.
Attachments
IMG_3727a.thumb.jpg.a941f44a431a85ce44ff583f58e5cb9f.jpg
PB100017_zpshqbr2mbm.jpg
PC090021_zpstinrjdd7.jpg
PC090018_zpschweid7l.jpg
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 40 (i:17)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Congratulations on the successful spawning. Thanks for sharing your detailed report and pictures. :-)

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
pan

Post by pan »

Thanks Eric. Happy to participate. :)
Karsten S.
My images: 30
Spotted: 20
Location 1: Ludwigsburg - Germany
Location 2: Ludwigsburg - Germany

Post by Karsten S. »

Hi,
pan wrote: 10 Mar 2018, 12:05I have serious doubts about the given identity(....aureum propably), so if someone is in position to give a valid identification, feel free to say so.
you are absolutely right to have doubts. I'm not sure if Sturisomatichthys panamensis ever made it into the trade (and all the west andine species have been moved to this genus meanwhile). "St . panamensis" are always(?) wrongly labeled.
Also most of the Sturisomatichthys aureus are wrongly labeled, most of the are rather Sturisomatichthys festivus. However, these species unfortunately also crossbreed making it even more difficult to say for sure.
To my mind the fins are too long for St. aureus, St. festivus could match.

Cheers,
--

Karsten
pan

Post by pan »

The long fins make me doubt the panamense identity too.
Thanks Karsten!

Cheers

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”