Farlowella questions

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Mol_PMB
I've donated: $50.00!
My images: 5
My cats species list: 37 (i:32, k:1)
My aquaria list: 12 (i:9)
My BLogs: 8 (i:34, p:416)
Spotted: 14
Location 2: Manchester UK

Re: Farlowella diet question

Post by Mol_PMB »

Looking good :-)

When she’s a bit older, they will usually prefer a spawning site on the glass where there is the best water flow (such as opposite a filter or powerhead outlet). If you want this to be at the front, make sure that’s where the best flow is.
MissNoodle
My articles: 1
My images: 31
My cats species list: 27 (i:27, k:5)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:5)
My BLogs: 7 (i:35, p:389)
My Wishlist: 10
Spotted: 42
Location 1: Ontario
Location 2: Canada

Post by MissNoodle »

So an update... im thinking that my original twig is not vittata, his belly schutes do not match. He has three incomplete middle row, not just 2 parallel rows.
20200109_233940schuteview.jpg
I took a close photo of his belly schutes.

His match this guy, as do his markings and proportions.
https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/sp ... es_id=3961

Would this be a correct assessment?

My new one, matches well with the dual rows of vittata.
20191207_081431schutes.jpg
Thinking I have two separate species now. Ah, at least they get along enough. Kinda keep to themselves on separate sticks lol
Corydoras, Hoplosternum, Farlowella, Pleco
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Hi MissNoodle,

You are correct that you have two species there. To properly ID your species, use the key found here: Which Farlowella species have 3 rows of ventral scutes?. The key gets you through most of the species, except the 5 most recently described. For those, I put in relevant details to help identify them here.

Based on Step 1 of the key (incomplete abdominal middle row), your fish with the incomplete middle row of abdominal scutes has to be one of these five species: , , , , or

Based on likelihood of catch location, I'd rule out and . The other three species would possibly be scooped up by fishermen when collecting . has two, not one, middle row plates posteriorly, so yours is not that either. This leaves only and . From the key,
  • 3a. Snout-mouth length/pectoral fin length > 1.0 .....Farlowella platorynchus
  • 3b. Snout-mouth length/pectoral fin length <0.6 ....Farlowella colombiensis
20200109_233940schuteview~2.jpg
Your photo above is perfect for seeing snout-mouth length and pectoral fin length. Clearly, you fish's SML/PFL ratio is > 1.0, so your fish is ! :-BD

seems a reasonable ID for your other fish based on the key, but your photos don't show all the traits needed to confim, and some of the traits are dependent on the fish being adult.

On another note, that photo you picked out of showing the abdominal plates must be mis-assigned, because the species lacks the incomplete middle row.

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
MissNoodle

Post by MissNoodle »

bekateen wrote: 29 Feb 2020, 15:50 Hi MissNoodle,

You are correct that you have two species there. To properly ID your species, use the key found here: Which Farlowella species have 3 rows of ventral scutes?. The key gets you through most of the species, except the 5 most recently described. For those, I put in relevant details to help identify them here.

Based on Step 1 of the key (incomplete abdominal middle row), your fish with the incomplete middle row of abdominal scutes has to be one of these five species: , , , , or

Based on likelihood of catch location, I'd rule out and . The other three species would possibly be scooped up by fishermen when collecting . has two, not one, middle row plates posteriorly, so yours is not that either. This leaves only and . From the key,
  • 3a. Snout-mouth length/pectoral fin length > 1.0 .....Farlowella platorynchus
  • 3b. Snout-mouth length/pectoral fin length <0.6 ....Farlowella colombiensis
20200109_233940schuteview~2.jpg
Your photo above is perfect for seeing snout-mouth length and pectoral fin length. Clearly, you fish's SML/PFL ratio is > 1.0, so your fish is ! :-BD

seems a reasonable ID for your other fish based on the key, but your photos don't show all the traits needed to confim, and some of the traits are dependent on the fish being adult.

On another note, that photo you picked out of showing the abdominal plates must be mis-assigned, because the species lacks the incomplete middle row.

Cheers, Eric
Thats awesome, and based on the one being mature size (7 inches) i can say the original fish is female. No bristles and chunkier body.

My other, smaller one is only 4 inches still, so still a youngster.

But other photos... each of these photos is of the same fish, the vittata candidate.
20200108_152047.jpg
20200208_073307.jpg
20200219_075322.jpg
MissNoodle

Re: Farlowella questions

Post by MissNoodle »

Sorry, another question.

How many farlowella per tank?

I have these two in a 46g tank... assuming that would be the maximum amount for this size, given their size and for their food resources?

And another, since they're two different species, on the off chance theyre different sexes, could they hybridize potentially?

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”