Feeding Repashy

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Speedy1985
My cats species list: 13 (i:5, k:0)
My BLogs: 5 (i:9, p:255)
Spotted: 13
Location 1: USA
Location 2: NJ

Feeding Repashy

Post by Speedy1985 »

I know many here feed Repashy, so I was wondering how you gauge the amount to feed. I usually make batches that I pour into silicone mini cube trays and store in the fridge. Each tray holds about 160 3/8" x 3/8" or roughly 1cm cubes. As a reference, in a tank with 6 L-129 at about 2" + or -, I generally drop in about 4 cubes. Sometimes I drop in whole cubes, other times I squish them so there are several smaller pieces. Using the reference group, does this seem to be ok? I'm really just trying to figure out if I'm over/under feeding at all and then apply that to all of my groups.
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Re: Feeding Repashy

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Bear in mind that each fish keeper will usually work out what works best for them. I batch Repashy in decent sized casserole dishes. When it has cooled I cut it into bars about 3.5x1.5x1 inch. I wrap each in wax paper and then most of it goes into the freezer and some into the fridge.

When I feed I make appropriate sized slices for each tank and then I spread them around the tank. I feel this minimizes the potential for fights over food since it is all over the tank. It only takes a few feedings to figure out about what is right for any tank. If there is left over food the next day, I know to reduce the amount. If there is nothing left over I may increase feeding a bit or accept that I have it about right. The key is not having uneaten food the next day.

I also tend to cut the pieces according the the size of the fish in a tank. Because fish grow, I tend to increase feeding amounts over time to compensate accordingly.
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Speedy1985

Post by Speedy1985 »

TwoTankAmin wrote: 30 Oct 2019, 15:21 Bear in mind that each fish keeper will usually work out what works best for them. I batch Repashy in decent sized casserole dishes. When it has cooled I cut it into bars about 3.5x1.5x1 inch. I wrap each in wax paper and then most of it goes into the freezer and some into the fridge.

When I feed I make appropriate sized slices for each tank and then I spread them around the tank. I feel this minimizes the potential for fights over food since it is all over the tank. It only takes a few feedings to figure out about what is right for any tank. If there is left over food the next day, I know to reduce the amount. If there is nothing left over I may increase feeding a bit or accept that I have it about right. The key is not having uneaten food the next day.

I also tend to cut the pieces according the the size of the fish in a tank. Because fish grow, I tend to increase feeding amounts over time to compensate accordingly.
Yes, I always spread the food around, whether it is whole cubes or not. Generally, I don't find any uneaten food the next day, unless it was a piece that got caught on the driftwood etc., and they couldn't find it. My gut tells me that I'm pretty close to the right amount based on that. None of the fish in my groups look to be starving, all with healthy shapes if that sounds right. I do feed the same sized cubes for the larger sized species, just more of them.
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 16
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

I feed more to the volume of the filtration and water volume, I think. I don't want to foul the water, but I want the fish to have all they want. If there's any left over after 12 hours, then I can reduce a bit for their next feeding.

Barbie
Mol_PMB
I've donated: $50.00!
My images: 5
My cats species list: 37 (i:32, k:1)
My aquaria list: 12 (i:9)
My BLogs: 8 (i:34, p:416)
Spotted: 14
Location 2: Manchester UK

Post by Mol_PMB »

I make my repashy in empty blister trays from frozen foods, which are about 1cm cubes. For adult plecs (about 5" long) I generally reckon an average of half a cube per day.
Smaller fish (juveniles and otos) often prefer to eat off the surface of twigs and branches. Sometimes I dip twigs in the repashy mix to coat them like a lollipop. This works best if there's a high percentage of Morning Wood in the mix, as it is firmer in consistency. The smaller fish love these and if you use small twigs it's not so accessible to larger plecs.
Jobro
My cats species list: 12 (i:7, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Germany
Location 2: Allgäu

Post by Jobro »

I take an old big tea cup with hot water and boil it in the microwave.
Then add the powder and stir well using a spoon.
Once hardened, I will feed it using a spoon to make portions of what I assume would be appropriate for the tank. One tea cup usually is enough for two or sometimes three days. That is for about 6-7 pleco tanks.

Cheers Johannes
follow my Plecos on Instagram: welsgefluester
Speedy1985

Post by Speedy1985 »

Barbie wrote: 31 Oct 2019, 05:45 I feed more to the volume of the filtration and water volume, I think. I don't want to foul the water, but I want the fish to have all they want. If there's any left over after 12 hours, then I can reduce a bit for their next feeding.

Barbie
Interesting. I'd never think that the volume of the setup would be a factor as much as the size of the fish. But in an indirect way, I guess it is.
Speedy1985

Post by Speedy1985 »

Mol_PMB wrote: 31 Oct 2019, 10:47 I make my repashy in empty blister trays from frozen foods, which are about 1cm cubes. For adult plecs (about 5" long) I generally reckon an average of half a cube per day.
Smaller fish (juveniles and otos) often prefer to eat off the surface of twigs and branches. Sometimes I dip twigs in the repashy mix to coat them like a lollipop. This works best if there's a high percentage of Morning Wood in the mix, as it is firmer in consistency. The smaller fish love these and if you use small twigs it's not so accessible to larger plecs.
The blister pack cubes are roughly the same size as the silicone trays I use. The 1/2 cube per day is probably very close to what I feed to most of my, which vary in size from 2" up to 5" or so.

I like the twig idea for dipping, and I know what you mean about the Morning Wood, although I'm not sure many of the species would need that.
Speedy1985

Post by Speedy1985 »

Jobro wrote: 31 Oct 2019, 20:47 I take an old big tea cup with hot water and boil it in the microwave.
Then add the powder and stir well using a spoon.
Once hardened, I will feed it using a spoon to make portions of what I assume would be appropriate for the tank. One tea cup usually is enough for two or sometimes three days. That is for about 6-7 pleco tanks.

Cheers Johannes
Is that as if you were feeding it every day? If I fill both trays about 3/4 full, I have about 200-220 cubes. I use 2 trays because I make 2 mixes. 1 with more Super Green to Bottom Scratcher ratio, and the other opposite. If I feed it 3-4 days per week, it will last me about 2 weeks or so. This is for 9-10 tanks/species.
Jobro

Post by Jobro »

Well at least I feed it for 2-3 days untill it is gone. Depends on my mood whether I am up to make it every third day all over, again. So they get some breaks in between. I feed it mostly when I want them to spawn, or rather when I expect them to spawn again soon. Like now, when winter and rainy season are coming up in my area.
Speedy1985

Post by Speedy1985 »

Jobro wrote: 31 Oct 2019, 21:23 Well at least I feed it for 2-3 days untill it is gone. Depends on my mood whether I am up to make it every third day all over, again. So they get some breaks in between. I feed it mostly when I want them to spawn, or rather when I expect them to spawn again soon. Like now, when winter and rainy season are coming up in my area.
Do you feed it outside of those seasons? I've been feeding it 3 times a week to just about everything, but I often wonder what a different good everyday staple food would be.
Jobro

Post by Jobro »

No, I did not feed it for most of the summer time. I don't want them to get too fat. It's best to give them some time with lots of veggies and less protein based foods. I think you can use most Pleco foods from the big suppliers for this period. Just don't feed too much to your adults.

Youngsters on the other hand need as much food as possible to grow fast. Which does not mean to overfeed....
Speedy1985

Post by Speedy1985 »

Jobro wrote: 01 Nov 2019, 09:30 No, I did not feed it for most of the summer time. I don't want them to get too fat. It's best to give them some time with lots of veggies and less protein based foods. I think you can use most Pleco foods from the big suppliers for this period. Just don't feed too much to your adults.

Youngsters on the other hand need as much food as possible to grow fast. Which does not mean to overfeed....
OK. I always do tend to make sure any fry get a diet with a little more protein, but I still mix in the occasional veggie based food.
jac
My articles: 3
My images: 71
My cats species list: 84 (i:0, k:28)
My BLogs: 15 (i:16, p:755)
Spotted: 45
Location 1: Ede
Location 2: Holland
Interests: Fish of all types but mostly Loricariidae, Callichthyidae and Auchenipteridae. My awesome dogs and walking through nature and taking pictures.

Post by jac »

I only feed my fish Repashy. So that means every day, although I do have one day a week in which I don't feed. Repashy is an excellent food source to feed on a daily basis. You can switch between different formulas if you want to make it more interesting for yourself.
Repashy contains high quality ingredients and so you don't need to feed a lot of it to get the best results. The best way to know if you feed enough is to look at your fish. If they look skinny feed more, if they are getting to fat feed less. If the Repashy is all gone the next morning it is a good sign, if there is still some left it was probably to much and you just feed less the next time.
We had some interesting feedback from Leandro Sousa (Ictio Xingu, Brasil) about quality food and sperm count in fish. Feed good food and it has been proven it will increase successful breeding enormously! There will be a paper about this next year. But for me, looking at my own successes the past years, I am fully convinced Repashy is the main key to success :-BD
Every great achievement begins with a dream ;-)
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

The best food for conditioning many fish, including Hypancistrus, is live. For some of us this is not going to happen. I am in that camp. I must agree that Repashy is an excellent food for conditioning fish for spawning. It is a toss up in my mind as to which is the next best choice after live, Repashy or frozen. I feed both. The main difference is I can feed frozen to all my tanks in less time than I can feed Repashy.

Because it feeds way faster, I confess that I will feed commercial food about 10%-15% of the time.
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Speedy1985

Post by Speedy1985 »

jac wrote: 03 Nov 2019, 08:24 I only feed my fish Repashy. So that means every day, although I do have one day a week in which I don't feed. Repashy is an excellent food source to feed on a daily basis. You can switch between different formulas if you want to make it more interesting for yourself.
Repashy contains high quality ingredients and so you don't need to feed a lot of it to get the best results. The best way to know if you feed enough is to look at your fish. If they look skinny feed more, if they are getting to fat feed less. If the Repashy is all gone the next morning it is a good sign, if there is still some left it was probably to much and you just feed less the next time.
We had some interesting feedback from Leandro Sousa (Ictio Xingu, Brasil) about quality food and sperm count in fish. Feed good food and it has been proven it will increase successful breeding enormously! There will be a paper about this next year. But for me, looking at my own successes the past years, I am fully convinced Repashy is the main key to success :-BD
Excellent info, thank you. I generally use Bottom Scratcher, Super Green, Spawn & Grow, and Morning Wood(for my 204's). Are there any others I should consider?
Speedy1985

Post by Speedy1985 »

TwoTankAmin wrote: 03 Nov 2019, 22:50 The best food for conditioning many fish, including Hypancistrus, is live. For some of us this is not going to happen. I am in that camp. I must agree that Repashy is an excellent food for conditioning fish for spawning. It is a toss up in my mind as to which is the next best choice after live, Repashy or frozen. I feed both. The main difference is I can feed frozen to all my tanks in less time than I can feed Repashy.

Because it feeds way faster, I confess that I will feed commercial food about 10%-15% of the time.
I do on occasion feed some Kens Ultra Spirulina, Mysis, or Plankton Krill Spirulina flake, but not too often. Repashy is definitely my go to though. Have you tried the Ebo Aquaristik pellets at all? I've been using several of them with mixed results.
MChambers
My cats species list: 26 (i:12, k:0)
My BLogs: 6 (i:0, p:76)
Spotted: 2
Location 2: Washington DC

Post by MChambers »

Speedy1985 wrote: 06 Nov 2019, 01:45
jac wrote: 03 Nov 2019, 08:24 I only feed my fish Repashy. So that means every day, although I do have one day a week in which I don't feed. Repashy is an excellent food source to feed on a daily basis. You can switch between different formulas if you want to make it more interesting for yourself.
Excellent info, thank you. I generally use Bottom Scratcher, Super Green, Spawn & Grow, and Morning Wood(for my 204's). Are there any others I should consider?
My fish really love Repashy Igapo Explorer, the main ingredients of which are black soldier fly larva, fruit, and squid. I think it’s only available from Swiss Tropicals.
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Speedy1985

Post by Speedy1985 »

TwoTankAmin wrote: 06 Nov 2019, 23:29 Alan sells it as well https://www.store.repashy.com/by-produc ... -explorer/
Yes, that's probably where I will get it because it seems like most re-sellers don't carry the 4 lb buckets.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”