Pseudohemiodon Apithanos egg fungus

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Machine213
Location 1: USA
Location 2: California

Pseudohemiodon Apithanos egg fungus

Post by Machine213 »

I have an adult pair of Columbian Apithanos. They laid eggs on Sunday, 4/26, and I separated them into a floating breeder. This is there first clutch and there are 27 eggs and the male abandoned them. Of the eggs, about 22 look viable, with yolk, but about 5-6 eggs that had remained opaque and now look like they might be growing a fungus. I want to get the bad eggs out, but they are all attached to each other. Does anyone have a good solution to separate the eggs without hurting the good ones, or how to treat the eggs without harsh chemical. I didn’t have a chance to set up an hatchery tank, since I wasn’t expecting them to mate.

Currently they are in a 130 gallon with skin fish (mormyrus longirostris).

pH 7.3
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate (low)
GH unknown
Temp 79* F

Water changes 1-2x per week

It’s not a great photo, but it shows the attached eggs in the cluster, there are a couple of the white eggs on the sides, the rest happen to be in the middle.
Attachments
B400BD4B-AE4C-4328-B584-7729A101277B.jpeg
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: Pseudohemiodon Apithanos egg fungus

Post by bekateen »

You can use sodium sulfite to dissolve the jelly coats and separate them. But what if you left them with dad?

Regards, Eric

P.S. your post says you're in California. Whereabouts? I'm in Stockton.

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
stuby
I've donated: $25.00!
My images: 1
My cats species list: 1 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Big Rapids, MI.

Post by stuby »

When I have eggs that get kicked or cory eggs I treat them with Alder Cones. I found they work well on eggs that like to fungus up..... knowing how many to use takes a bit of guess work but has saves some nice fish for me. A half gallon jar, air stone, and about 7 to 12 Alder cones is all you need. You can float the jar in the aquarium to keep it the same temp as the tank..... treat with alder cone for 20 hours or so and put them in the fry saver. BTW I believe they are tricky and when it comes time to hatch you will have to help them. HTH

Take care,
Chuck
Machine213

Post by Machine213 »

bekateen wrote: 01 May 2020, 07:59 You can use sodium sulfite to dissolve the jelly coats and separate them. But what if you left them with dad?

Regards, Eric

P.S. your post says you're in California. Whereabouts? I'm in Stockton.

Cheers, Eric
I tried leaving them with the male, and kept them separated in the tank, but he just ignored them would push them around as he moved through the tank. And he is not gentle.

How would I used the sodium sulfite? Put them in a bowl and add some to the water, or try to administer to the eggs individually? Will it damage the eggs if left too long?

I have prime water conditioner, it claims it uses a sulfite salt, but don’t list specifics since it’s proprietary. All I have in hand now, have you done this before? What did you use?

I’m down in San Diego.
Machine213

Post by Machine213 »

stuby wrote: 01 May 2020, 13:01 When I have eggs that get kicked or cory eggs I treat them with Alder Cones. I found they work well on eggs that like to fungus up..... knowing how many to use takes a bit of guess work but has saves some nice fish for me. A half gallon jar, air stone, and about 7 to 12 Alder cones is all you need. You can float the jar in the aquarium to keep it the same temp as the tank..... treat with alder cone for 20 hours or so and put them in the fry saver. BTW I believe they are tricky and when it comes time to hatch you will have to help them. HTH

Take care,
Chuck
I’ve heard the same thing about having to help hatch. Hoping they get that far. Being the first clutch I really wasn’t prepared. Didn’t expect it this year.

I’ll order some of the alder cones, they’ll be good to have in hand for future clutches, thanks.
fishguy1978
My cats species list: 31 (i:26, k:21)
My aquaria list: 8 (i:7)
My BLogs: 2 (i:1, p:73)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 36
Location 1: Puget Sound
Location 2: WA
Interests: Fish. I have multiple aquariums with fish from S.A, C.A., Africa, and Asia.

Post by fishguy1978 »

Machine213 wrote: 01 May 2020, 18:59
stuby wrote: 01 May 2020, 13:01 When I have eggs that get kicked or cory eggs I treat them with Alder Cones. I found they work well on eggs that like to fungus up..... knowing how many to use takes a bit of guess work but has saves some nice fish for me. A half gallon jar, air stone, and about 7 to 12 Alder cones is all you need. You can float the jar in the aquarium to keep it the same temp as the tank..... treat with alder cone for 20 hours or so and put them in the fry saver. BTW I believe they are tricky and when it comes time to hatch you will have to help them. HTH

Take care,
Chuck
I’ve heard the same thing about having to help hatch. Hoping they get that far. Being the first clutch I really wasn’t prepared. Didn’t expect it this year.

I’ll order some of the alder cones, they’ll be good to have in hand for future clutches, thanks.
Do you have oak, alder or magnolia trees around? You could just collect leaves, cones, or nut caps to add.
Did you say “CATFISH!?” I’m in.
Machine213

Post by Machine213 »

fishguy1978 wrote: 01 May 2020, 19:23
Machine213 wrote: 01 May 2020, 18:59

Take care,
Chuck

Do you have oak, alder or magnolia trees around? You could just collect leaves, cones, or nut caps to add.
I actually don’t, my area is pretty much all “water conservative” landscaping. I’ll look around, but really no conifers around, mostly palm trees if anything.
fishguy1978
My cats species list: 31 (i:26, k:21)
My aquaria list: 8 (i:7)
My BLogs: 2 (i:1, p:73)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 36
Location 1: Puget Sound
Location 2: WA
Interests: Fish. I have multiple aquariums with fish from S.A, C.A., Africa, and Asia.

Post by fishguy1978 »

Any conifer (pine, cedar, ect.) should not be used. Hardwoods are safe.
Did you say “CATFISH!?” I’m in.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Machine213 wrote: 01 May 2020, 18:57I tried leaving them with the male, and kept them separated in the tank, but he just ignored them would push them around as he moved through the tank. And he is not gentle.

How would I used the sodium sulfite? Put them in a bowl and add some to the water, or try to administer to the eggs individually? Will it damage the eggs if left too long?

I have prime water conditioner, it claims it uses a sulfite salt, but don’t list specifics since it’s proprietary. All I have in hand now, have you done this before? What did you use?

I’m down in San Diego.
The aquarium conditioners are usually sodium bisulfite. I don't know if it's as safe as regular sodium sulfite. I've tried water conditioner one time, to no affect. Yes, exposure time could become harmful. There are recipes on the internet from fish hatcheries/fish farms that describe the concentration and timing.

Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”