Sailfin Pleco Pterygoplichthys Joselimaianus L001

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
fishguy1978
My cats species list: 31 (i:26, k:19)
My aquaria list: 13 (i:12)
My BLogs: 2 (i:1, p:73)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 36
Location 1: Puget Sound
Location 2: WA
Interests: Fish. I have multiple aquariums with fish from S.A, C.A., Africa, and Asia.

Sailfin Pleco Pterygoplichthys Joselimaianus L001

Post by fishguy1978 »

I received a request from @Andrewjw for pictures of my Giant. A little history first. I have taken on maintenance of 3 aquariums for an older fellow from my church. He was a master gardener for a local hospital. Unfortunately, he was drafted during the Vietnam war and was tasked with dumping agent orange on the jungle and now is suffering the effects of that exposure. His 3 aquariums are always over stocked so he has me remove fish as they get to bid and that is how I acquired the the giant.
My 220g aquarium was a CL score last summer. The tank sat on the back patio for almost a year before getting moved inside. The bottom of the tank is drilled for overflows but the PO had used silicone to seal the homemade bulkheads. I removed the overflows with the intent of reinstalling them but broke one in the process. I like the look of the tank better without the internal overflows and decided to just cap the holes. The center brace glass was shattered and the two end braces needed to be removed and re-siliconed. Glass is crazy expensive, 18in x 23in x 1/2in was $55. I cut two pieces of glass out of the old center brace to cap the holes.
The amazing looking wrinkle finish on the back was pure accident. I had some blue grey paint that is really old that I like and tried to use. It did not adhere to the glass but pealed off like a bid sticker. I tried to clean the glass with a soap and vineger mix and then denatured alcohol but same result. My next try was with a dark blue paint that is newer. I applied one coat and waited until it had dried completely. I then painted a coat of the blue gray and it caused the wrinkle effect like paint that has glue mixed into it. I applied a final coat of white. I now have 3 colors that show through with places where there is no paint and the sun shines through from the windows behind.
Filtration is 2 AC 110
2 300w Aqueon heaters set to 80 degress F
Sand is 100lbs of commercial grit from Home Depot
Branch is Curly Hazelnut
Rock is a WC Cl rescue :))
The other inhabitants are:
1. M. Lippincotainus
2. M. Argentus
3. M. Hypsauchen
4. Corydoras aeneus (Bronze cory) x5
5. Dianema urostriatum (Flagtail Porthole Cat) x2
6. Geophagus Sp. (Red head Tapajo)

The male Amphilophus Hogaboomorum (C.A. cichlid) was removed after 2-3 weeks in the tank. He was not overly aggressive towards the other fish as he was the only cichlid but I have other fish I want to add. Plans are for more D. Urostriatum and Aeneus, and to add banjo cats and maybe a/few Farlowella sp.
Pterygoplichthys Joselimaianus
Pterygoplichthys Joselimaianus
Current home
Current home
Attachments
Size comparison
Size comparison
Last edited by fishguy1978 on 07 May 2020, 21:33, edited 2 times in total.
Did you say “CATFISH!?” I’m in.
Andrewjw
I've donated: $600.00!
My articles: 2
My images: 17
My cats species list: 45 (i:21, k:0)
My BLogs: 24 (i:29, p:1094)
Spotted: 14
Location 1: St Louis
Location 2: St Louis Missouri
Interests: Fish!

Re: Sailfin Pleco Megalancistrus parananus L113

Post by Andrewjw »

Looks like an L-001......!
Dave Rinaldo
I've donated: $601.00!
My images: 238
My cats species list: 64 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 97
Location 2: Austin, Texas

Post by Dave Rinaldo »

Contribute to Planet Catfish!

Use this Amazon.com link to benefit Planet Catfish!!
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

I concur with Andrewjw and Dave Rinaldo.

Beautiful specimen.

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
fishguy1978
My cats species list: 31 (i:26, k:19)
My aquaria list: 13 (i:12)
My BLogs: 2 (i:1, p:73)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 36
Location 1: Puget Sound
Location 2: WA
Interests: Fish. I have multiple aquariums with fish from S.A, C.A., Africa, and Asia.

Re: Sailfin Pleco Pterygoplichthys Joselimaianus L001

Post by fishguy1978 »

I have made the necessary corrections here and to my kept species.
Did you say “CATFISH!?” I’m in.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”