L046 and wavemaker?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Broomha1
Location 1: United Kingdom
Location 2: Northampton

L046 and wavemaker?

Post by Broomha1 »

Hi all. Newbie here. I have a breeding tank set up for l046 zebra pleco. I want to create more flow, especially in front of the caves. I was wondering if any other l046 keepers used wave makers in their zebra tanks to achieve this? Thanks Dan
cavefish
Location 1: Malta
Location 2: Europe

Re: L046 and wavemaker?

Post by cavefish »

Hi Dan,

I had Hypancistrus spawns with and without wave makers. The ones I use are Tunze 6020, to which I attach an airline with an airstone using a rubber band. By fixing the airstone below the Tunze intake allows for increased dissolved oxygen across the tank. The hood on the powerhead allows one to direct the flow in several directions. I line up the cave entrances facing the front glass perpendicular to the current so the fish have a range of +/- flow to choose from.

Regards
Karl
Broomha1

Post by Broomha1 »

Brilliant, thanks for the reply. Nice idea with the air stone. I ordered a tunze wavemaker today, 6025. Hopefully this gives me what I need, cheers
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I never saw any reason to pay up for a wave maker. I do use powerheads or small pumps to blow current across cave mouths. I also have a number of my Hypans spawning in tanks with only air powered foam cubes and/or matten filters. No current specifically directed across cave mouths at all. Well oxygenated water and good circulation are more important than any need for strong current or even current across cave mouths, IMO.

That said, there is no reason not to do it the way you prefer.
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Broomha1

Post by Broomha1 »

Thanks for your reply. Had a lot of adults, a long time in the tank, trying to work out why they dont seem interested in breeding. Was thinking flow across cave mouth was one thing to tick off, after reading up online
Barracuda
My cats species list: 16 (i:10, k:3)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:2)
My BLogs: 2 (i:1, p:77)
My Wishlist: 37
Spotted: 17
Location 1: Belgium
Location 2: Limburg
Interests: Fish, orchids, garde

Post by Barracuda »

I have a blue marine wavemaker 4000 installed since 2-3months. Just running in the daytime to get dirt easier to the filter. Also have a Eheim air diffusor on my filteroultlet that's been there since the tank setup. My group had there last eggs beginning of this year before I installed the wavemaker. I try to induce them in to breeding by changing 30% of the water (few degrees colder) when wheater is changing (rain, thunder,...). We will start doing this from tomorrow over here and this during 3 days.
Broomha1

Post by Broomha1 »

Thanks for the advice. Waiting on a weather change, shouldn't be too hard in England 😂

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”