Can you ID these Plecs

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
jdt28
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: UK
Location 2: ENGLAND

Can you ID these Plecs

Post by jdt28 »

Hello
A friend of mine has luckily been given these 4 young fish,,,,Can anyone throw a positive ID in our direction ,thanks in advance
Attachments
75341067_10223445642437661_7802780868907660027_o.jpg
Acanthicus
My articles: 5
My images: 91
My cats species list: 29 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 79
Location 1: Kiel
Location 2: Germany

Re: Can you ID these Plecs

Post by Acanthicus »

Hi

Check L 66 and L 333 for comparison, surely a Hypancistrus and one of the wormline-complex too. They are similar in their requirements, so the actual variety/l-number isn't a big matter. Make sure they are not getting mixed with any other "similar looking" or "surely the same species" specimens to prevent an untraceable process of hybridization.
Daniel
jdt28

Post by jdt28 »

Thanks for your input Daniel.....These were actually given to him as L236 Basic but as always there is a little doubt when identifying stripey Hypans
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I have two breeding groups of L236, I can offer the followings personal opinions:

1. I do not believe it will ever be formally identified. I think it is basically a natural hybrid.

2. As a result of #1, I find this fish to be highly variable in appearance.

3. The variability applies to different fish considered to be L236 even when they come from the same parents.

4. The variability also applies to each single specimen as it grows from free swimming to old age. Let's assume one took several babies and put them into different isolated sections of the same tank and took pictures of each fish at 3 to 6 months intervals over 5 years. Then one prints all of the pictures and shuffles them. There is almost no way anyone could reconstruct the individual series correctly. They change too much and not in a predictable fashion.

The above actually bodes well for the pictured fish being 236 regulars. I am also not a fan of the classification of regulars or Grade A. This refers to the specific pattern on any one fish. One of my groups traces back to Robert Budrovcan the other to a now dead breeder in Europe who created a line of super white 236. Both groups have some plain lookers and both have some spectacular lookers.

Caveat emptor.
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
jdt28

Post by jdt28 »

L236 (2).JPG
.........I am now the owner of these Fish here is a side on shot of one of them

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”