Bushy nose and L128

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
seeked
Location 1: Ottawa
Location 2: Canada

Bushy nose and L128

Post by seeked »

Good morning,

I have been housing two plecos in my communal tank for a few months now and all seems fine but, i have a small question.
I installed a cheap night vision security cam that I found for 30$ on Amazon to see what food they prefer.

I tried, algae wafers, carnivore sinking pellets, Zucchini, cucumbers, carrots, sweet potato, lettuce, spinach, kale, orange and green peppers, cantaloupe, fresh shrimps and broccoli.
So far the clear winner for the bushy nose is the zucchini. He will spend hours multiple times a night and evening munching on it. Not so much the L128. He does not seem to care for the fruits or veggies I leave them.

I see him buzzing around the tank glass and on the drift wood/cave but, never on the food.

I've had him for a few months now so, I know he eats. but, was wondering. Should I try other food? Is it a territory issue?
Thanks for your time
plec.jpg
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: Bushy nose and L128

Post by bekateen »

Hi seeked,

I would think the L128 should go for some veggies too. Are you feeding them any meats? Chopped shrimp, live blackworms, etc? I know the BNs would like some also (in addition to veggies, not instead of). Also, I may be wrong, but don't L128 like to be warmer than BNs? If so, if temp is lower, that may be inhibiting eating.

All that said, I have some plecos (e.g., Baryancistrus beggini, Hemiancistrus guahiborum and L387) which I've never seen eat, not even once. And yet I've had them for years, some for about 6 years - so obviously they're eating something. Maybe your L128 will be like that. :-)

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Post by TwoTankAmin »

How about a mix of Repashy. Maybe 50/50 Soilent Green and Bottom Scratcher?
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
seeked
Location 1: Ottawa
Location 2: Canada

Post by seeked »

Quick update.

Last night I put in a small piece of raw clean shrimp. Both plecos did not even sniff it. I'll try again later this week.

And, I splurged and bought Rapashy yesterday. It's super expensive here in Canada but, they were having a Black Friday sale. Should be here in a few days and I'll update. I bought Bottom scratcher and morning wood. read a few articles that recommended mixing both in one mix.. we will see.

Thanks for your help
s.
Cleo21
My cats species list: 7 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 2
Spotted: 7
Location 1: Canada
Location 2: Ontario

Post by Cleo21 »

I have three L-128 and one L200. They both love zucchini, watermelon, cantaloupe, bell-peppers for fruit/veg. I also feed Kelp wafers, carnivore pellets, bug bites, and repashy (Igapo Explorer and Bottom Scratcher).

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”