Unusually small fry of Ancistrus (Keifner Bolivia 2)

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
swedishfishroom
Location 1: Sweden
Location 2: Göteborg

Unusually small fry of Ancistrus (Keifner Bolivia 2)

Post by swedishfishroom »

Hey!
I have a question about the size of eggs/fry. I regularly breed several different ancistrus species (181, 107/184, LDA08, Warbenmuster and a few more) Now I have fry from a new (for me) ancistrus kiefner bolivia 2 and the difference in the size of the fry is very significant.
Does anyone here know what can affect the size of eggs and fry? I would probably estimate that both eggs and fry are about half as big as a fry of any other species I have grown (30+ species ancistrus, hypancistrus and pecoltia). Admittedly, the parents are a little too small to start breeding, with their 5-7cm TL. But in my experience, it usually only means a smaller number of eggs. And it does not affect the fry size of the smaller Claros LDA08 that started breeding at 4 cm or something like that.
The smaller size makes the fry quite difficult to grow and start eating.
Any input is appreciated
BR/Daniel
Matas Abaliksta
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:3, p:52)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Norway
Location 2: Arendal
Interests: Aquariums, plecos and climbing

Re: Unusually small fry of Ancistrus (Keifner Bolivia 2)

Post by Matas Abaliksta »

Hey
I have not bred that species of Ancistrus my self but I have seen a big variation in the size of the eggs of Ancistrus species. I have seen that the size of the fish plays a role in the size of the eggs.
I had this one female that in the same batch laid different sizes of eggs, ones were double as big as others, there was about 50 small eggs and 50 large eggs. It was weird but they all hatched and all grew up nicely. the next batch from the same female all the eggs were the same size
I have this theory that egg size can be affected by the fish size, food, and living situation.
Matas

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”