L46 breeding corydoras pantanalensis

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
collin
Location 1: Nederland
Location 2: Nederlands

L46 breeding corydoras pantanalensis

Post by collin »

Aquarium dim. 80x40x40
The biotope consists of a bare bottom with stones together with some catalpa leaves, a current pump, sponge filter and a eheim pump.
Nutrition: frozen food, Mysis/artemia/black mug/discus food and as dry food various types of Dr Bassleer.

We have a group of 7x L46 of different ages in which there is also a couple who have already had young, the young are not separated but raised in the aquarium.
In the aquarium there is also a 5 Panaqolus sp. L397 together with some shrimp

Now I have the opportunity to take over a group of 8 corydoras pantanalensis, these are about 1.5 years old with which I want to breed in the future.

Questions:
Is the combination L46 and corydoras possible, both are carnivores.
Should I adapt the biotope to the corydoras, for example sandy bottom?
Are young L46 or eggs eaten by the corydoras?
With egg deposition of the corydoras I have 2 choices:
Remove the adults and raise the brood in the same tank, or move the eggs and raise the young somewhere else.
The intention is to not separate any young but raise them in the tank, just like the L46.
Will any eggs/young be eaten by the L46
In order to get the corydoras to spawn we also need to create a dry season, does this have "consequences" for the L46

What "consequences" does the above combination have on L397, after all they are omnivorous

Are there other things we have not taken into account?
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Re: L46 breeding corydoras pantanalensis

Post by Jools »

Current and DO are the two main factors you need to consider - zebras and corys don't occur together in the wild (same river, different biotopes, here is an article showing it, but I've not finished it yet). While you can keep these fishes together suboptimally (but fine) breeding them together is a different matter.

You don't need a huge aquarium to breed these Corys, so [if it was me] I would try to breed them in another tank and perhaps raise established juveniles with the plecos. L397 comes from a different biotope again, it'd be easier to looking at breeding the corys with them but, more or less, the current and DO issues are the same.

Jools
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Post by TwoTankAmin »

My experience with spawning the B&W Hypans is that once they begin to spawn, they usually continue doing so for many months. Then they will pause for a bit and then they restart. However, this is not universally the case. Sometimes one just gets an occasional spawn.

If spawning is a primary goal, I almost always believe it is best accomplished in a species tank. I have never done it any other way. However, I am also aware that other species can be included if they are the right ones to have. I just do not do this. Part of this is in the cost of the fish. I do not want to expose fish I pay a lot for to be exposed to anything that cheap fish might bring in or other problems this might cause.

Since Jools knows way more on the mixing subject than I do, I would take his advice.
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Peakirene
Location 1: UK
Location 2: London

Post by Peakirene »

I have found myself in the same position as you. But I realized that the best solution was to be to separate the fishes into different biotopes. Then, with the proper structure of aquariums, you can economically and efficiently make them when the aquarium habitat is touched. Just used a carbon dioxide system to deliver carbon dioxide in the same way but uses bottled carbon dioxide. You also can set the system to turn off at night. After all, you can use planted tank co2 setup guide.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”