Very pale L397

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Woodh
My cats species list: 6 (i:2, k:5)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: Linkoping
Location 2: Sweden

Very pale L397

Post by Woodh »

So I am gonna try to get a picture of it asap but it's hiding(duh). Got it and 5 others home just 3 days ago and the rest seems to have fine coloration and look happy/healthy, this one? Not so much it's almost sand colored and noticeably smaller than 4 of the rest(one more is roughly the same size but looks much more like you would expect.

Keep in mind this is my first plecos in over 15 years so I could very well be in over my head, maybe it's still just acclimating to the new aquarium?
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: Very pale L397

Post by bekateen »

When you get the photo, it will be easier to comment. In the meantime, I have one or two L397 who are always lighter than others. But they are not different sizes. The small size of your fish, combined with the off-coloration, might indicate a chronic issue which is stunting growth and affecting wellness. If it is merely due to past housing, you should be able to resolve it with good care. If it doesn't go away, hard to know what to make of it.

Good luck,
Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Woodh
My cats species list: 6 (i:2, k:5)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: Linkoping
Location 2: Sweden

Re: Very pale L397

Post by Woodh »

bekateen wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 22:21 When you get the photo, it will be easier to comment. In the meantime, I have one or two L397 who are always lighter than others. But they are not different sizes. The small size of your fish, combined with the off-coloration, might indicate a chronic issue which is stunting growth and affecting wellness. If it is merely due to past housing, you should be able to resolve it with good care. If it doesn't go away, hard to know what to make of it.

Good luck,
Eric
Will try my best to get a photo tommorow, might be it's not pale anymore cause I didn't see it today(or something worse happened) I mean if it "turned darker" it would be hard for me to differate it from the other(s). Doubt they were treated poor where I got them from, more likely something wrong with my aquarium in that case.

Thanks for input will probably post some pics regardless tommorow(once I turn the lights on) and maybe I could get some help verifying if it's actually likely it's L397s? Will care for them regardless but would be good to know in case of future breeding plans(but they are atleast a year off from sexual maturity regardless).

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”