Thoughts on keeping breeding groups of different genera together

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
seb47
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:3)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:2, p:101)
My Wishlist: 5
Spotted: 12
Location 1: Toronto
Location 2: Canada

Thoughts on keeping breeding groups of different genera together

Post by seb47 »

As the title suggests I'd be interested to hear if anyone has any experience successfully keeping breeding groups of different genera together.
I'm very limited in tank space and currently have a group of 5 L471s. I was wondering if in a 36"x12"x18" tank I'd be able to keep them with 4-5 either Panaqolus or Peckoltia and/or 4-5 whiptails (either lanceloata or L010a). Would diets be the main restraint? Or would possible size differences lead to aggression even with lots of caves?
Acanthicus
My articles: 5
My images: 91
My cats species list: 29 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 79
Location 1: Kiel
Location 2: Germany

Re: Thoughts on keeping breeding groups of different genera together

Post by Acanthicus »

Morning

As long as you provide enough shelter and hiding places you will be fine with two or even three species in the same tank. The Rineloricaria need different caves to spawn in than the Hypancistrus/Peckoltia/Panaqolus and won't compete with them anyway. Try to get species from a similar habitat, P. lineola would be an appropriate choice for you. I wouldn't go for P. compta e.g., because they often need to be triggered with a lower pH, a change that L 471 do not need.
Daniel
seb47

Post by seb47 »

Thank you for your insight! Say I also wanted a group of Corydoras atropersonatus (saw on scotcat they can handle warmer temps) would that be possible on top of the 3 groups? Or would I be getting greedy. The tank's filtered with 2 HOBs rated for 50 gallons and a sponge filter.

Thanks again for your help

Sébastien
medaka
Expert
I've donated: $20.00!
My images: 66
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:1)
Spotted: 28
Location 1: Runcorn.
Location 2: Cheshire.UK
Interests: Asiancatfish/corys

Post by medaka »

are found in amongst leaf litter where the water is acidic, so be aware that although the will exist in a neutral pH, they tend not to be as resilient to disease and infections or be as sharp in colouration at that level. It may be best if you check on the water requirements for the fish you are hoping to keep together.

BTW; I keep in a 100 gallon (imperial) tank, a large group of 4 and 4 along with some tetras, 2 pr of Apistogramma agazzii and corys that like a neutral pH ( or just above).
I ‘Doc I can’t stop singing The Green, Green Grass of Home’
“That sounds like Tom Jones syndrome.
‘Is it common?’
“It’s not unusual.” :YMTONGUE:
seb47

Post by seb47 »

medaka wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 19:54 are found in amongst leaf litter where the water is acidic, so be aware that although the will exist in a neutral pH, they tend not to be as resilient to disease and infections or be as sharp in colouration at that level. It may be best if you check on the water requirements for the fish you are hoping to keep together.
My test kit expired recently and I haven't gotten around to replacing it but my pH is usually around 7.3, GH 125 ppm and I add oak leaves to soften it. Do you know of any smaller cories (preferably not the dwarves) that are comfortable at 27°C and do well in these conditions?
medaka
Expert
I've donated: $20.00!
My images: 66
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:1)
Spotted: 28
Location 1: Runcorn.
Location 2: Cheshire.UK
Interests: Asiancatfish/corys

Post by medaka »