Put a couple of L200s with my L397 group?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Woodh
My cats species list: 6 (i:2, k:5)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: Linkoping
Location 2: Sweden

Put a couple of L200s with my L397 group?

Post by Woodh »

I have this acquaintance who wants to rehome two L200s in the 10-15cm range. It's quite tempting to take them since they, atleast lookswise, are among the coolest fish.

Tank has been up for some months now and is a 65gal stocked with 6 smaller L397s(would these be in danger of getting outcompeted?). I am sure there is biological space but more afraid of fighting and so on. My gut feeling says it's probably better to pass on the opportunity but it feels hard, what do you do to convince yourselves to not just get more plecos? :-??

I wont be able to set up another tank of proper size for them in the forseeable future so they would have to coexist or I might be able to get a smaller(but decent sized) tank solely for the L397s would rather not move them as they seem to be settling in just fine though.

Feel like the summertime is dangerous since other people seem to want to get rid of aquarium stuff while I just want more.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: Put a couple of L200s with my L397 group?

Post by bekateen »

Hi Woodh,

To be clear, which of the L200 are you considering? or ?

I've never kept either of them, but I do keep L397. Their temps overlap, but L397 does seem to like it warmer than the other two species (I keep my L397 at 29-30C).

Hopefully someone else can offer better info on the other species.

Cheers,
Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Woodh
My cats species list: 6 (i:2, k:5)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: Linkoping
Location 2: Sweden

Post by Woodh »

He says that they are "fully grown" so I guess that means the second but to be fair I don't know if he would be able to tell the difference and neither am I. I keep my l397 realtively cold, 26-27C, but maybe ill increase temp in the future. Regardless I have decided to say no and leave the L200s for another time(think they would do better in a larger tank after reading up on them and then I have something to look forward too ;). And since I am new to all this it's probably best to stick with one species per tank till I get a grip of what I am actually doing. Would be nice with some more input regardless!
cavefish
Location 1: Malta
Location 2: Europe

Post by cavefish »

Hi, I have a group of 4 L200a which I've had in quarantine for 3 months and will be moving them to a 200g. The tank already houses a breeding group of L340s and L397s and a pair of P. Apithanos.

Before I moved the L397s into the big tank I was concerned they would fight the L340s over territory, but both species get along well with each other and the fry. The L200a are still 2-2.5" so I'm not worried about them.

I keep the tank at 82F and feed mostly spirulina tabs and granulated food since uneaten vegetables are hard to pull out of a 30" tall tank.

Regards
Karl

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”