Budrovcan Line 236 Sexing Dilemma

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Budrovcan Line 236 Sexing Dilemma

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I have a problem I need some help with in terms of sexing fish. I have a growout tank for the 236. because of the virus I have not been selling or trading any of my offspring. However, that did not stop them from spawning and growing.

I have set up six summer tanks essentially outside. The are a 50, 2 x 40b and 3 x20L and are cycled and ready for fish. yesterday I started the process by breaking down the above grow tank. The kids have been there so long some of them have spawned. I had three males in claimed caves and about 15 fry at 1/2 inch or less. These are now all in hand traps circulating tank water.

In addition I pulled another 20 fish all but one in the 2.5+ to 3 inch range. At that size most 236 will spawn. The plan was to pull what I had thought would be the spawning fish based on size. No chance of that now. The even bigger problem is trying to sex these fish at this size only from physical appearance. I am pretty bad at that. Older fish I can do, behavior in a s smaller group i can do as well. But this situation is a mess for me to sex.

The goal was to create a proven breeding group at least and then unproven fish. I need to revise things. I sorted all but the caved fish into two groups using my best judgement (not that great) to sex them. I ended up with 8 fm and 15 males, including thise caved. I took pics of them all and after that decided to move one fish from the male to female group giving me 14 and 9. The caved males and fry are in hang-on traps circulating tank water. I then divided the tank and put the "males" on one side and the "females" on the other.

Here is the problem. I would like to create three potential spawning groups of 6-8 fish. I would love to have as many of them be proven as possible. To do this I need to sort them. I am awful at sexing plecos unless they are more mature unless i vent them, that is not possible at this time as I have about 150-200 fish I need to sell. This includes both offspring and a couple of my breeding groups.

I took passable pictures of the two sexes in buckets after I sorted them. The best I could do was to use body width as the deciding factor. I also know this method and my judgement means i am probably off the mark by a bunch. So below are two passable shots of the fish in the buckets. I did move the widest one in the male bucket after the fact. Any input on the sexing would be greatly appreciated.

I am thinking the best plan is to set up 3 groups around each caved male and hope I have both sexes in a decent proportion (2m/1fm). I will return the fry to the grow tank rather than randomly mix them in with the bigger fish. With luck I will get more spawns making them proven before the end of summer. i also have more to pull from the breeder tank as well.

(Click on pic to enlarge.)

Males ?
Males2.jpg
Males1.jpg
Females?
females1.jpg
females2.jpg
I am time constrained here. I have another group of 236, 2 groups of 173s and 2 of zebras to work through ASAP. I am actively looking to downsize over the coming year. I am too old to keep up with it all and no matter how hard I try not to, I keep aging........

Any help sexing is greatly appreciated. I will be listing fish for sale on a few sites and via some fish friends. I will be donating a portion of all sales to sites/clubs/orgs. designated by the buyer. This would include Planetcatfish of course. For everything besides proven breeding groups the prices will be pretty nice.
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
TwoTankAmin

Re: Budrovcan Line 236 Sexing Dilemma

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Just 4 hours later and U have decided that under the time gun that without any better ideas what to do, the best course of action is as follows.

1. I did not look but I think I had either a trapping or dad on eggs in one of the two active caves. I will confirm this and take that make and fm if there and the second active cave and put the into a 20L. I will then pick out another 6 males and 4 fm fish. This will hopefully result in something close to 8m/4fm. I will not move in any of the fry even though they belong for sure to one of the two dads.

2. That will leave 11 more fish from the grow tank plus whatever is in the breeding tank. I will move those 11 to another 20L. If there is no spawning from these 11, when I deal with the fish in the breeding tank I may rearrange things.

Today's plan is to turn to the first of 3 F1 L173 grow tanks. And to get the final 40B ready for fish. It got sand, wood and water today and a nice 400w heater.

I will not do anything with the 236 Today to give anybody who might a chance to chime in.
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
TwoTankAmin

Re: Budrovcan Line 236 Sexing Dilemma

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Fish have been moved, so I do not need replies. I divided the fish into two groups and moved them. Now its on to the breeder tank. There are offspring on there from recently free swimming to over 2 inches TL. I have spotted a couple that looked pretty amazing a while back, but who knows how they might have morphed.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”