Bloated Female Ancistrus

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Redrain
My cats species list: 13 (i:2, k:3)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:41)
My Wishlist: 57
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Kuwait
Location 2: Kuwait
Interests: SA/CA Cichlids, Gaming

Bloated Female Ancistrus

Post by Redrain »

My female BN is bloated for a few days now. I tried epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) for 24 hours and it didn't seem to have an effect. I tried again after doing a ~80% wc with raising the temp to 30C and still no effect. She is the only one bloated in the tank, I have a male and two L226's and a red lizard and they're all fine. So I'm not sure if she's egg bound or bloated, I've been also feeding boiled green peas without the shells for a few days. I bought Octozin because it seems that some guys here recommend it, I also have general cure and erythromycin in the fridge. Which one should I go with? What seems to be the cause? I've not introduced anything in the tank for a long time except for a few floating tanks that brought snails with them. (stupid me I know)

Here are some pics
Redrain

Re: Bloated Female Ancistrus

Post by Redrain »

Welp, she's gone.

Here's an "autopsy" if anyone can figure what this is

bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Hi Redrain,
Sorry for your loss. I've lost a few plecos that looked bloated. In my experience, by the point they are bloated, there is little or nothing I can do. Of course, your autopsied fish shows no details to be helpful, other than the fact that I see no real intact organs. I presume you removed them. I'm under the suspicion that most plecos bloat due to kidney damage (not as often egg bound), in which case there's not much to do.

Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Redrain

Post by Redrain »

bekateen wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 23:05 Hi Redrain,
Sorry for your loss. I've lost a few plecos that looked bloated. In my experience, by the point they are bloated, there is little or nothing I can do. Of course, your autopsied fish shows no details to be helpful, other than the fact that I see no real intact organs. I presume you removed them. I'm under the suspicion that most plecos bloat due to kidney damage (not as often egg bound), in which case there's not much to do.

Eric
Thanks Eric,
Yeah the method I used isn't exactly scientific, but to me the intestines looked kind off a weird translucent green. I pulled some of them out to see if I can "find" what caused the problem, it was foul smelling the moment I opened up the belly, so I guess stuff had been decomposing inside her before dying. Who knows
Merten
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Dallas

Post by Merten »

Do you know what could have caused such a swelling of the bruch in the female Ancitrus? This could happen due to the fact that eggs stagnated in the belly and the female could not sweep away eggs due to poor conditions in the aquarium, as low water temperature could contribute to this. Once this happened from my guppy, at first I noticed that the fin rot guppy is in the wrong position, and when I looked closely, I noticed a swelling of the belly. It turned out that this happens after the embryo or eggs stagnated in the fish and it could not give birth.
Redrain

Post by Redrain »

Merten wrote: 26 Oct 2021, 23:30 Do you know what could have caused such a swelling of the bruch in the female Ancitrus? This could happen due to the fact that eggs stagnated in the belly and the female could not sweep away eggs due to poor conditions in the aquarium, as low water temperature could contribute to this. Once this happened from my guppy, at first I noticed that the fin rot guppy is in the wrong position, and when I looked closely, I noticed a swelling of the belly. It turned out that this happens after the embryo or eggs stagnated in the fish and it could not give birth.
No I do not know what caused it, if I did this thread would be pointless wouldn't it? Guppies and Loricariidae are way different anatomically and with breeding behavior. I don't think she was egg bound because I haven't seen any trace of eggs. The temp. was at 29C so I wouldn't count that low.

The only clue I have is that I brought some floating plants that had pond snails on them, that I suspect were vectors of some pathogens. But who knows I could be wrong

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”