L204

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
beardedbillygoat1975
Location 1: Bend OR
Location 2: USA
Interests: Ancistrus, Coryadoras

L204

Post by beardedbillygoat1975 »

I purchased a group (6) of L204. They passed suddenly this morning. They had been in my care for 14 days. They received med trio (Ich-X, Maracyn, Paracleanse) and I had planned to do Expel-P this weekend. I think there was a problem in the setup. I am new to L# plecos (lots of experience with ancistrus cirhosis in all its varieties SF, LF, calico, green dragon, etc) but would like to glean the experience of other keepers before bringing in another group of L# veg or omnivorous plecos.

pH6.8-7
temp 80
kh 2-4
gh 8-10
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 20-40
30 g
filtration sponge large, tetra HOB and hydor korralia
substrate inert black sand
wood x 4 - manzanita, cholla, malay driftwood and juniper
4 caves and 2 flower pots
baby tears, dwarf water lettuce, java moss, java fern
lots of algae on the decor, wood and sides of the tank with 15 hour photo period
No sunken bellies in the group.
Diet: alternating twice daily feedings with Xtreme bottom wafer, Serra pleco wafers, zucchini, green beans, cucumber, repashy super veg, and spirulina flakes; the vegetable matter was taken out after 8-12 hours.

I did a 30% water change last night with gravel vac and cleaned my sponge filter (it had been 14 days since last sponge cleaning). I did not touch the hang on back filter. They were vigorous and hanging on the wood and the pots after the water change. I had been changing the water every 2-3 days depending on the amount of waste I was seeing. I have a group of Gardneri killifish as dithers - these were raised in my fishroom F2s.

This morning I came into the fish room and all 6 were dead. I had fed organic greenbeans I had steamed and opened after the water change. This AM the killies were alive. The water was not clear it was slightly cloudy.

Parameters
ammonia 0.25
nitrite 0
nitrate 60-80
ph 6.8-7
temp 80
kh 2
gh 8

I would appreciate any feedback. I just want to become a better keeper and provide a better setup for my animals.
beardedbillygoat1975

Re: L204

Also they were wild caught.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Hi beardedbillygoat1975,

Welcome to Planetcatfish.

As for losing the L204, I'm really sorry. That's a lovely species. We're the organic beans salted or unsalted?

It's unlikely disease pathogens would kill all six fish on same day, so that tells me water quality or possibly poisoning of some kind.

Regards,
Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
beardedbillygoat1975

I agree in cleaning out the tank and removing the decor there was way too much organic material under around and in the hardscape which would explain the water quality issue. They were unsalted freshly steamed. Even dipped them in Repashy Super Green. Expensive lesson. Will lick my wounds and plan out another project with a non-Ancistrus pleco.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”