Air gulping Sailfin?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
BobsUncle
Location 1: Victoria, B.C. Canada

Air gulping Sailfin?

Post by BobsUncle »

My marble sailfin (sorry, new to the L numbering system, don't know which is the right one) had adopted a new behaviour in the last week. Every 5 minutes or so (day/night, doesn't seem to matter) he will go up to the surface, release a couple of large air bubbles through his gills, and then take a swallow of air and go back down.
As well, I have found waste containing small air bubbles floating at the top of the tank.

I'm puzzled by this apparent imitation of anabantoid behaviour...he appears perfectly healthy, other than slightly accelerated breathing rate - no signs of disease that I recognize. He eats well, his tank roaming patterns have not changed, and he doesn't appear to be in any discomfort. He did manage to split his tail about two weeks ago while thrashing his tail at the surface during a violent storm. (only fish in the tank that reacted to it)

The pl*co in question (Bob) is approx 1.5 years old, 12" long. The tank is a 70 gal, Fluval 404 filter running wool/carbon/biomedia. Tank conditions are quite stable, 0ppm NH* and NO*, Ph 6.8-7.0. Temp has been stable at 78 for a couple of years.

Does anyone have any idea what's up with Bob? Any info would be greatly appreciated, I'm starting to get worried about my favourite finny denizen.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

That's normal behavior in some loricariids. Some are known to use their gut as an accessory breathing organ to obtain oxygen directly from the air.

Heok Hee
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

As Heok Hee pointed out, many loricariids are capable of taking atmospheric air. Most interestingly, the other night I watched a recently acquired Chaetostoma do this. I have never seen this behavior in Chaetostoma before, but maybe all members of the family (or atleast Ancistrinae/Hypostominae) can do it.
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
smilingSyno
Location 1: Florida, USA
Interests: Synodontis, Corydoras, Hoplos, Plecos etc.

Post by smilingSyno »

*agrees with HH* Nothing to worry about. My pellegrini pleco does it too, not so frequently though. Only strange thing about it is that you have never observed this behavior before. Oxygen level in your tank might have dropped, have you changed anything? I don't know the reason why he does it now if he never did it before but it's not a disease or anything like that. Bob is fine :D

PS: If you want to know his L number post a picture of him in the "What is my catfish" forum, maybe someone can ID him.
BobsUncle

Thanks all who replied!

Post by BobsUncle »

Wow, I never expected to get answers that quickly. Thanks to everyone, I'm glad to be able to relax about Bob. :D

As for the question about oxygen levels, no, nothing has changed in the tank, and nobody else seems to be breathing any different. I have adjusted my filters outflow to disturb the surface even more though, I'll let you know if the behaviour changes at all.

Thanks again! :D
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

I think it something all Loricariids do. I have seen it in Otocinclus and Lamontichthys oddly enough although it tends only to happen if the temp. is high and the filters aren't running as well as they should.

Anyone seen Pimelodids do it? I could swear my Pimelodus do it but I've never caught them at it, just forays to the surface maybe looking for food.

Jools
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Jools,

I recall reading somewhere that some pimelodids do just that (utilize atmospheric oxygen). The problem is I've forgotten where I read this, and whether or not I have the paper. Don't really feel like digging through hundreds of papers in my reprint library at the moment.

Heok Hee
BobsUncle

Post by BobsUncle »

Well thanks SmilingSyno, you appear to have been right on the mark about oxygen levels.It's been 24 hours since adjusting my filter outflow to disturb the surface more, and Bob seems to be going up less frequently than previous.
Could be coincidence, but I'm wondering if the long power outage during the storm de-oxygenated the tank more than I realized. I did do a water change after to get some more in there, but maybe it wasn't enough...
polkadot
Location 2: Singapore

Post by polkadot »

I agree with Jool. Heard from a friend that plecos gulping air from the surface when the temp in the tank is too high!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”