Please help ID illness on Sterbai

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
peddongom
Location 1: California
Location 2: USA

Please help ID illness on Sterbai

Post by peddongom »

Hello,

I have been having a hard time figuring out what is wrong with two of my Sterbai corydoras. At first I thought that it was bacterial infection and it still could be.... but I’m not sure what kind. The have been covered with the white slime like patches for over a month and I have not been able to cure them. Sorry for the Algae on the glass.
Sterbai 5.jpg
sick Sterbai 4.jpg
Both Sterbai seem fine. They are active, they eat well and it does not seem to spread to fast on them. I have tried Paraguard with little effect. If anything it might have halted the spread but I can’t really say for sure if it has. I tried API General cure and E.M. Erythromycin, also with little or no effect. I am currently medicating the tank with ICH-X which was recommended to me because it can help with Chilodonella, if indeed it is Chilodonella. I have ruled out Columnaris which I have dealt with in the past.

They are in a 26gallon long tank with several other corydoras and a few Endlers. The tank is a bit crowded but that’s because it is only temporary until I move them into my 125gallon tank. All corydoras have been in the 26gallon long for almost 5 months. Water parameters check out fine since I do water changes twice a week. And every other day now for the past week since I'm dosing ICH-X.

Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0
Temp 75
PH 7.8
GH 4
KH 4

Substrate is ¾ Mr. Aqua soft soil and the right side is Flourite black sand.
Filtration is Eheim Ecco 2232 and spong filter.
Planted with Anubias, Java fern, Buce, Bolbitis
Smooth rocks and stones
Tank has been running for years (2008)
Food- live grindal and white worms. Omega one Algae wafers, Sera tabs, New Life Spectrum ect…

I use 50/50 tap/ RO water for water changes. Fish load is…

8 Sterbai
8 Arcuatus
1 Duplicareus
8 Venezuelanus
10 Similis
2 Emerald Green
12 Endler young as dithers

Strange thing is that bacterial infection and Chilodonella are very contagious. But no other fish seems to be infected. I’ve tried looking this up but the closest thing I could find that looks similar are these photos I found on Google.
Sick cory.jpg
Sick cory 2.jpg
I hope someone here could help me find out what is wrong.

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
sick Sterbai.jpg
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: Please help ID illness on Sterbai

Post by bekateen »

Reminds me of velvet.

When you are applying meds, are you remembering to remove the carbon from your aquarium filters?

Can you buy some ProForm C? It's sold for treating velvet and ich and similar ectoparasites in ponds, but you can use it in aquaria. I believe the dose is 1ml per 10 gal for 3 days.

Good luck, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
peddongom

Post by peddongom »

Thank you for the response Eric,

I don’t use carbon because of the plants in my tanks. I don’t think it is velvet either since the two Sterbai have had it for over a month and whatever it is have not spread to any other fish.
AZCatfish
I've donated: $100.00!
Location 1: Phoenix, Arizona
Interests: Aquariums, Orchids, classic & antique cars.

Post by AZCatfish »

It looks bacterial. Send those photos to Seachem and see what they recommend. Let us know what they say.

http://www.seachem.com/contact.php
peddongom

Post by peddongom »

Thank you AZCatfish! I have reached out to Seachem and will post an update.
Tattooedmaildude79
My images: 1
My cats species list: 10 (i:4, k:6)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 3
Spotted: 11
Location 1: El Cajon, California

Post by Tattooedmaildude79 »

Looks like columnaris.... whats how it started on my Sterba in qt and then the snouts started eroding...... did you get it under comtrol? What did seachem think?

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”