Cories showing abrasion, infection, fungus or...?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
zendog
Location 1: Virginia
Location 2: USA

Cories showing abrasion, infection, fungus or...?

Post by zendog »

Hi all,
I have a group of 10 Cories I just got in and have in a bare bottom quarantine tank. I've had them for 3 days and I've notice areas, mostly on their flanks, but one maybe around the eye, where the pattern seems as if it has been scraped off or otherwise reduced by an infection or something else. It was showing on one fish on a side and one fish around the eye when I got them. I don't see any gold spots (so not velvet?) and it still looks smooth (no fuzziness) and there is nothing particularly sharp that they might be scrapping on. Maybe delayed reaction to ammonia during shipping?

They are all eating, except possibly one of them, just fine and seem otherwise unbothered. The one that is the worst does sort of look like you can see some red striations or possibly the blood vessels showing through. At first I thought it was stress from shipping, but now I think it is affecting more of them. I've just added some Melafix and boosted the heater up to 82 (from 76) hoping that might help, but any diagnosis and suggestions is most welcome. It is tough to get a close shot of them with my cell phone camera, but here is a cropped image showing the one that shows it worst. Add salt maybe?
CoryLosingPattern.jpg
CoryLosingPattern.jpg (22.43 KiB) Viewed 570 times
pH is 7 (maybe a little under)
Nitrites and Ammonia is 0, Nitrates around 10
I'm using about half rain water and half of our hard tap water to balance it out.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”