Brineshrimp Naupli and microworms for adult C. panda?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
corymaniac
Location 1: Tyrol, Austria
Location 2: Tyrol, Austria

Brineshrimp Naupli and microworms for adult C. panda?

Post by corymaniac »

Hello everyone,

I just completed my registration for PlanetCatfish and this is my first post.
Since English is not my first language, I hope you will apologize any grammar and spelling errors on my part.
My question is whether freshly hatched brineshrimp or mircoworms are good food for (sub)adult Corydoras panda since they do not sink to the ground?
I only ever read about them as food for fry or pygmy cories.
Currently I feed my pandas grindal worms, frozen cyclops, Sera plankton tabs and living tubifex or bloodworm if I can get them in fresh quality.
I'm looking for other life food options that are easy to culture and of high nutritional value. My C. panda live in a species tank (60 L). I am relatively new to Cories, so any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Cheers,
Lisa
adnan
Location 1: Northern Ireland
Location 2: Bulgaria

Re: Brineshrimp Naupli and microworms for adult C. panda?

Post by adnan »

Welcome to catfish forum Lisa!
Good food choice for your corys. I would suggest another great corydoras food- Hikari Sinking Waffers.
corymaniac

Post by corymaniac »

Hello everyone,

thanks for both of your comments, Mol_PMB and adnan!
Unfortunately, Hikari fishfood is not easily available in Austria, not even online. But I will definitely put it on my list.
Currently I am feeding my Pandas only in the evening six days per week as their tank is fairly new. I did a fishless cycle before I stocked the tank with all 7 Pandas at once (I had to drive a long way to get them directly from a breeder). Thus I still closely monitor the tank for any increase in Nitrites and do a 30% water change every two to tree days. So far everything has been fine and I'm thinking about starting to feed them some freshly hatched brineshrimp altering with microworms in the morning.
I'm hoping someone will bother to correct me if anything I'm writing about doing or planning is bullshit.

Cheers,
Lisa
adnan
Location 1: Northern Ireland
Location 2: Bulgaria

Post by adnan »

Hi Lisa!
From your info given to us it seems that you are very familiar with taking care of corydoras catfish. My personal opinion about your way of feeding with life and frozen food is that the small crustaceans organisms are part of corydoras natural menu, the best menu. Although it is good from time to time to provide them some sinking pellets with content of spirulina.
Do you have any plants in your corydoras tank?
I believe, here, the corydoras hobbyists including me, will be happy to see some photos of your pandas :)

Cheers, Adnan!
fat meloe!
Location 1: Western
Location 2: USA

Post by fat meloe! »

corymaniac wrote: 25 Sep 2017, 21:54 Hello everyone,

thanks for both of your comments, Mol_PMB and adnan!
Unfortunately, Hikari fishfood is not easily available in Austria, not even online. I'm hoping someone will bother to correct me if anything I'm writing about doing or planning is bullsh**.

Cheers,
Lisa
It seems that fishfoods from different brands often use similar ingredients. I imagine that buying fishfood that is similar to the Hikari wafers and is from a good reputable company will be much more convenient than trying to get a rare batch of Hikari stuff.

Also, since you want to be corrected...
Jools has said to use clean language on the forums, because there are a number of kids around.

Cheers to you as well! :d
corymaniac

Post by corymaniac »

Hi everyone,
From your info given to us it seems that you are very familiar with taking care of corydoras catfish.
Actually I am fairly new to corydoras, though not to fish keeping. I made an attempt to keep C. panda a few years ago but wasn't very successful. I surely made some mistakes, predominantly underestimating the importance of clean water, the importance of using river sand as a substrate and the role of quantity of bacteria in a tank. I also wasn't aware of the fact that almost all of the species sold at local pet or fish stores are bred in asia and are kept alive using high quantities of different antibiotics. Since I know about that I refrain from buying any fish in pet shops etc.
Do you have any plants in your corydoras tank?
Currently I only have two tanks with C. Panda, both are planted (mainly microsorum pteropus, java-moss, riccia fluitans etc.).
One tank is a 60 L plastic tub that I use as a quarantine tank; filtration: eheim ecco pro 130.
The other is a 54 L tank filtered by a "Hamburger Mattenfilter". In Germany and Austria this is a relatively common DIY type of biological air driven filter with a filter sponge mat that covers the entire shorter tank side. To provide a bit more current I also run a 500L/h powerhead in this tank.
I believe, here, the corydoras hobbyists including me, will be happy to see some photos of your pandas
Unfortunately, I do not have any photo equipment to speak of (excluding my mobile ~X( ). I will try to take some pics though to give you a general idea of how I set up my tanks. I really like your pictures adnan and would be interested in what kind of equipment you're using.
Jools has said to use clean language on the forums, because there are a number of kids around.
:-J I'll have to rethink my manners. Sadly I sometimes find it hard to express certain ideas without using this kind of language... :-??

Cheers,
Lisa

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”