Corydoras and Sewellia compatibility

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Boris.D
Location 1: Austria
Location 2: Laab im Walde

Corydoras and Sewellia compatibility

Post by Boris.D »

Does anyone have the experience of the compatibiluty of the Corydoras and Sewellia Lineolata?
Is it possible to keep them together?
MChambers
My cats species list: 26 (i:12, k:0)
My BLogs: 6 (i:0, p:76)
Spotted: 2
Location 2: Washington DC

Re: Corydoras and Sewellia compatibility

Post by MChambers »

I don’t have experience, but I’d think the flow you’d need all the time for the Sewellia would be more than most Corydoras could tolerate, at least on a continuous basis. For that reason, I’ve not bought any Sewellia.

But I’d like to hear about actual experience, too.
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

What you could do is have a lot of current in one half of the tank ,and none in the other. But to me that would not be combining them.
cats have whiskers
Boris.D
Location 1: Austria
Location 2: Laab im Walde

Post by Boris.D »

MChambers wrote: 11 Oct 2018, 00:55 I don’t have experience, but I’d think the flow you’d need all the time for the Sewellia would be more than most Corydoras could tolerate, at least on a continuous basis. For that reason, I’ve not bought any Sewellia.

But I’d like to hear about actual experience, too.
At a moment I have Sewellia Lineolata in the Aquarium with Rainbowfishes. No high flow, just normal external filter flow and aeration. Water change every 10 days. I introduced 3 Sewellia. Now I have more then 17. Did absolutely nothing for this. Food - green tablets. They all are very active and moving around and looks happy without the high flow. Prefer to sit on the wood then on the stones (which should be just opposed). Even always hungry rainbowfish do not disturb the Sewellia population. The fry is transparent and when it has the color, it is too late to eat them. Sewellia also extreme fast moving fish.

When I had only 3 Sewellia, one of them always sat on the cocos and did not give 6 time bigger Crossocheilus reticulatus to come close. Even managed to bite him several times. With bigger group Sewellia lost any interest to another fishes.
So I do not know which territorial behavior will show Sewellia with a lot of Cory around.
GREENWOOD
Location 1: Hebron
Location 2: ILLINOIS

Post by GREENWOOD »

Greetings...I have kept 8-10 hillstreams with a large group of Cories in a 55 gal tank for 8 years.
There really are not any issues..I make sure there is stone work..slate in spots that is terraced toallow the cories "dead spots"in the flows.
Everybody happily feeds together!!

I have read a ton or references to the need of "log fume currents " running the length of the tank for hillstreams to be happy and survive...I have no such "Olympic" flow rate and current....I have a very heavy filtration rate on the tank and have had Hillstreams exhibit mating behavior while the cories seemed happy to enjoy all the activity...I have had Orange lasers at full size with the Hillstreams for 8 plus years...

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”