Issues with supplier

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Cory.Rivers
Location 1: Cambridgeshire, England
Location 2: Illinois, USA

Issues with supplier

Post by Cory.Rivers »

I'm hoping to get some advice / give a warning about an issue I've faced recently with a fish supplier; apologies if this is the wrong forum, and for the length of the post. I'm a researcher studying Corydoras behavior, and I was looking for some Corydoras pygmaeus, ideally wild-caught, for behavioral studies (observing social behavior; after the research is over, my lab fish are re-homed to live out their lives as pets). I had previously used a supplier called Aqua Imports based in Colorado, USA for Corydoras aeneus-type fish; I had some mortality, but ultimately 52/60 survived in the long term and are thriving (exhibiting good growth, appetite, and the beginnings of breeding behavior). My lab system is closely monitored and my water chemistry has not had any issues. So, I ordered 60 Corydoras pygmaeus from the same supplier. They assured me were wild caught from the Rio Mapo in Peru and arrived to their facility May 3; they shipped them to me on May 19 (overnight, they arrived May 20). This seemed like fast turnaround and I told the supplier there was no rush, but they said the fish were ready, and I assumed that they would be the best judge. I have all of this in writing.

The fish were packed in two bags of 30 each, and one of the bags had one fish DOA and several that looked in rough shape. The supplier's guidelines assured that fish that appear stressed often recover, but within a week, half of the fish in that bag had died (3/30 died in the other bag, a mortality rate consistent with my past experience) despite apparently impeccable water parameters. The fish seem to have stabilized now, gaining back color and exhibiting strong appetites, and I have not had any deaths in a couple days. The supplier, however, has failed to respond to multiple emails over several days and a phone call requesting advice. The supplier subsequently claimed the fish had been housed in their facility for over 2 months and they had no issues, and declared they weren't responsible for losses after arrival. They have refused to clear up the inconsistency about how long the fish were in the their facility, leaving me in doubt if I actually have wild caught fish.

I'm not concerned about securing a refund or getting compensation, but this supplier has made me feel as though I am complicit in animal abuse, for the fish that were shipped to me were clearly in poor condition and/or packed incorrectly. I assume I have no recourse going forward, but I wanted to share this experience in case anyone had any insights.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Re: Issues with supplier

Post by Jools »

It is odd though as these fishes are imported in large quantity bags, they're not often DOA being hardy fish, so you've perhaps something went wrong with one bag.

It's always a risk shipping so many fish in one bag. All you need to do is drop it, a few fish die and then the impact on the ongoing journey/fish results in where you ended up. I don't think you're complicit, but you could seek out a provider that will ship the same number of fishes in the same box but in more bags. It can be that the supplier ships well, and the transit is the issue. Sounds like the supplier has been unsympathetic mind you.

Jools
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Re: Issues with supplier

Post by TwoTankAmin »

This outfit appears to have had a decent reputation in the past. However, they are also a brick and mortar business with employees. It may be that the year of Covid cost that part of the business a lot and they were not able to make things up just online. They may be in bad financial shape and be unable to do the right thing here.

None of the above is your fault, you are just the victim of their problems. If they do not make good the way they should, you need to post about this anywhere you can. You should do this to help others avoid falling into the same hole.

No matter how good a reputation somebody had as a seller, if they hit real hard times they will screw you before they screw themselves or their family. I am in the middle of something like this and it involves a lot more money than you lost.
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”