Hemorrhagic septicemia, any tips?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Woodh
My cats species list: 6 (i:2, k:5)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: Linkoping
Location 2: Sweden

Hemorrhagic septicemia, any tips?

Post by Woodh »

Sadly one of the, cw009, corys I got a handful of days ago have hemmorhagic septicemia, didn't even consider it(and never had to deal with it before) and thought it was either a mechanical injury or something wrong with the water but after pinpointing it I am as sure as I have ever been about diagnosing a fish, except for the most obvious diseases that is.

I don't think the fish in question will make it although I have not totally ruled out that it might.

My concern is simply if one has it do the others also have it? If that's the case is there anything I can do before they also detoriate?
Anyone with any experience, good or bad, of the disease?

Quite sad about the whole ordeal but it is what it is and sadly a part of the hobby(that I certainly didn't miss during my 10 year hiatus) I suppose.
Thanks in advance.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: Hemorrhagic septicemia, any tips?

Post by bekateen »

Sorry to hear about this. If the fish is alive, isolate it. Give the other fish clean water and good aeration. For the sick fish, do the same. I have rarely found antibiotics to make much of a difference in the outcome.

Regards,
Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Woodh

Post by Woodh »

I did isolate it in a bucket with a cycled spongefilter and now when I woke up it swims around like always I don't really know what to do, don't have a heater for it either since the aquarium they(the cw009) are in is infact the quarantine guess ill have to setup a new quarantine for the future, sadly I think the others are showing mild symptoms of the same disease so I consider putting it back with them and hope for the best since I suspect they are already infected.

Might be ill put it back over and if it keeps becoming worse ill just have to let it go, will be home today so could monitor easy. Beginning to fear this might have a not so great outcome overall since I am starting to believe the others are heading down the same road.
Woodh

Post by Woodh »

I don't wan't to say too much but looks like the fish might live after all, at the time I wrote the original post it was laying on top of the internal filter upside down and breathing from the surface. After a day and a half in a bucket with some catappaleaves and very oxynegated water I decided to put it back in the aquarium and then euthanize it if no improvement, simply don't have enough equipment to put up a suitable quarantine for the quarantine, also couldn't judge how it looked in the bucket(although I have ordered an additional heater+nano aquarium for future mishaps).

After reacclimiating it to the temperature of the tank it wen't down and hid for 10 hours or so. Then it came out and ate with the others(fed quite close to where I knew it was "resting") I then turned the lights off. When I woke up I saw it swimming together with the rest and during the day I have not seen it at the surface more than for a quick dart every now and then and it seems pretty active, it still got quite irritated gills from what I can tell but they seem to be healing rather fast.

What that means I don't know? Guess time will tell.
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Hemorrhaging septicemia seems to often be the last step in a chain of afflictions. The fish turns reddish over large portions of the body, the fins turn reddish too.

I am not vet but when my fish had it before, I'd say it wasn't contagious, but i recall some peers stating/believing the opposite.

It can be treated with erythromycin.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Woodh

Post by Woodh »

Viktor Jarikov wrote: 28 Aug 2021, 02:05 Hemorrhaging septicemia seems to often be the last step in a chain of afflictions. The fish turns reddish over large portions of the body, the fins turn reddish too.

I am not vet but when my fish had it before, I'd say it wasn't contagious, but i recall some peers stating/believing the opposite.

It can be treated with erythromycin.
Thanks for the input!

Might be it was something else, but what? It matched pictures of the condition via google and the fish became lethargic and lay upside down on top of the internal filter, breathing from the surface, for a day or so, in addition it swimmed in very curvy lines and had trouble even reaching the surface.

It started out as a dark red area under it's mouth and that redness then seemed to move towards it's gills(and at the same time another couple of pink spots appeared on it's body).

Regardless now it's back to swimming with the others and seems to be totally over it, I don't really know what to make of it.
MissNoodle
My articles: 1
My images: 31
My cats species list: 27 (i:27, k:5)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
My BLogs: 7 (i:35, p:389)
My Wishlist: 10
Spotted: 42
Location 1: Ontario
Location 2: Canada

Post by MissNoodle »

Nitrite poisoning can cause these symptoms, you say these are new fish in quarantine?

Possibly a small cycle spike adding the new fish and the stress of acclimation has left them vulnerable to the symptoms of it, but the weaker one(s) got hit harder.

And now that it's bouncing back better, it's likely due to the nitrite being processed properly by the cycled filter.

It can cause septicemia-like bleeding and sometimes be caught in time and fish will improve once the ammonia/nitrite are processed or neutralized with some neutralizing chemicals such as Seachem Prime which binds it for 25 hours so it does not affect fish, supposedly.
Corydoras, Hoplosternum, Farlowella, Pleco
Woodh

Post by Woodh »

MissNoodle wrote: 31 Aug 2021, 04:50 Nitrite poisoning can cause these symptoms, you say these are new fish in quarantine?

Possibly a small cycle spike adding the new fish and the stress of acclimation has left them vulnerable to the symptoms of it, but the weaker one(s) got hit harder.

And now that it's bouncing back better, it's likely due to the nitrite being processed properly by the cycled filter.

It can cause septicemia-like bleeding and sometimes be caught in time and fish will improve once the ammonia/nitrite are processed or neutralized with some neutralizing chemicals such as Seachem Prime which binds it for 25 hours so it does not affect fish, supposedly.
Tank(or well the filters) is well cycled and I did measure,just to be sure, when it happened with no signs of anything being wrong. In that case it might have been from the bag, since I had already emptied it before it started showing any symptoms I couldn't test that water but it wasn't in there overly long so I don't know if that's likely.

Can't rule anything out at this point I suppose, my LFS guy(wen't there yesterday for some other purposes) seemed to believe it could be due to corydoras being inherently slightly poisonous but I don't know if that's a thing! X_X
dw1305
Location 1: Corsham, UK
Location 2: Bath, UK
Interests: Natural History, Ecology, Plants, Biotopes, Taxonomy, Nitrification, Cricket & Northern Soul

Post by dw1305 »

Hi all,
Woodh wrote: 31 Aug 2021, 11:06 it could be due to corydoras being inherently slightly poisonous but I don't know if that's a thing! X_X
Self-poisoning in spp. definitely is a thing.

cheers Darrel
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

What?! Shocking! Thank you Darrel. I've learned something new and entirely interesting today :) Little fish releasing a toxin in self defense... wow. That probably badly complicates the shipping of corydoras.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”