Can adolf take the heat?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
WhistlingBadger
Location 1: Wind River Country
Location 2: Wyoming
Interests: 150g planted tank with rainbows, emerald cories, zebra loaches, and panda garra.

When I'm not wrangling fish, I can usually be found running up and down mountains, shooting primitive bows at edible animals, playing celtic music, and trying to keep track of my wife and daughter.

Can adolf take the heat?

Post by WhistlingBadger »

Hi, all. The red phantom tetras in my 150g, which I remodeled as a Rio Negro flooded rainforest biotope last summer, are having an ich outbreak. x( I like to treat ich with heat rather than meds or salt, as both of those are devastating on the invert population. Standard procedure is to raise the temp to around 89-90F for three days, then keep it at 86 for another couple weeks. Normal tank temp is 77F.

So, the question is, can I do this without killing off my beautiful school of adolfoi cories?

Thanks--Thomas
MissNoodle
My articles: 1
My images: 31
My cats species list: 27 (i:27, k:5)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
My BLogs: 7 (i:35, p:389)
My Wishlist: 10
Spotted: 42
Location 1: Ontario
Location 2: Canada

Re: Can adolf take the heat?

Post by MissNoodle »

Short term should be okay, but watch for signs of trouble, increase oxygen, and change only gradually would be my best advice.

Short term "heat waves" happen, but no matter which option you choose there are risks.

Personally, for ich in the past, I have gone a half strength dose with Malachite green and acriflavine with good results, treated tank with ghost shrimp and bamboo shrimp as well as corydoras without losses.
Corydoras, Hoplosternum, Farlowella, Pleco
WhistlingBadger
Location 1: Wind River Country
Location 2: Wyoming
Interests: 150g planted tank with rainbows, emerald cories, zebra loaches, and panda garra.

When I'm not wrangling fish, I can usually be found running up and down mountains, shooting primitive bows at edible animals, playing celtic music, and trying to keep track of my wife and daughter.

Re: Can adolf take the heat?

Post by WhistlingBadger »

Thank you! I just hate adding meds to my tank if I can help it. They always seem to affect things other than what you want. Of course, heat can do the same thing.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”