Proper stocking for my aquarium?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
ad88
My cats species list: 13 (i:2, k:1)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 8
Location 2: Oklahoma

Proper stocking for my aquarium?

Post by ad88 »

I currently have a 75 US gallon tank 48inches x 18 inches x 21 inches. I currently have 2 2inch striped raphaels and 1 2inch spotted raphael. My questions is since catfish are more concerned about floor space what is a good limit for my tank without overcrowding my catfish? Will my current group be overcrowded as adults in this space or is there room for another spotted raphael? I am trying not to overcrowd my fish so I can lessen stress on them.
40 gallon breeder Community Tank
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Re: Proper stocking for my aquarium?

Post by Bas Pels »

48 inches is ~ 120 cm and 18 inches ~45 cm

Platydoras will grow to 20 cm - that's 8 inches, and will therefore outgrow your tank. I got 2 in a 4 meters (13 feet) tank, at the mature age of 25 years. In other words, they get old.

tHe spotted species does not get that big, 15 cm max, and might suit your tank better. Still, I would not add another. Perhaps you can exchange the striped ones for spotted?
cats have whiskers
ad88

Post by ad88 »

So Bas Pels I thought 4x by 2x by 2x was an appropriate tank size? My tank is actaully 6x my fishes adult length. I am confused on why this fish needs such a large tank? If you could please give me the a reason why this fish need such a large tank I would greatly appreciate it because I want to give my fish a good home?
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

in my opinion 6L * 2L * 2L is acceptable for catfish, and only very slow ones can accept 4 L

I've seen how much Platydoras like to swim, 6 L is actually quite short for them.
cats have whiskers
Divemaster
My cats species list: 10 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 11 (i:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:41)
Spotted: 13
Location 1: Pennsylvania, USA
Location 2: Pennsylvania, USA
Interests: Fish Tanks, Scuba Diving, Fishing, Boating, General Biology, CATFISH

Post by Divemaster »

I would not recommend getting any more for stocking purposes but if you do (which you COULD) then I would keep up on water changes. For a striped Raphael i would say that 75 gallons would be the smallest size I would keep an adult in so you should be good in those terms
ad88

Post by ad88 »

I ended up only keeping 1 Agamyxis pectinifrons so I no longer have the 2 platydoras armalatus they were really aggressive eaters and when they were out they were really moving searching for food so I assumed when they get large they would be a handful so I decided to stick with Agamyxis pectinifrons so I have 1 in with a 4 inch Chocolate cichlid and planning on adding 2 more A. pectinifrons if you guys think that is okay for my 75 gallon?
Divemaster
My cats species list: 10 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 11 (i:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:41)
Spotted: 13
Location 1: Pennsylvania, USA
Location 2: Pennsylvania, USA
Interests: Fish Tanks, Scuba Diving, Fishing, Boating, General Biology, CATFISH

Post by Divemaster »

Yeah that should be fine. Just make sure you have in enough hiding spots. My rule is at least 1 per fish and then an additional 1 for every 2 if you can follow that. I was at my LFS last week and they had about 10 spotted Raphaels in a tank with one cave. They ALL jammed into it and were just piled on top of each other. It was kind of funny but also I feel bad for them.
emacartoon
My cats species list: 16 (i:15, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:2)
Location 1: Mesa, AZ
Location 2: United States
Interests: aquaponics, fish, art, books, coffe

Post by emacartoon »

Suddenly I feel like a bad fish parent for keeping 5 full growns in a 55gal. Mine were happy, I had plenty of hiding spaces. They were happier in the 90 gallon, sure, but I had no problems in the 55.
ad88

Post by ad88 »

emacartoon wrote:Suddenly I feel like a bad fish parent for keeping 5 full growns in a 55gal. Mine were happy, I had plenty of hiding spaces. They were happier in the 90 gallon, sure, but I had no problems in the 55.
You had 5 what Platydoras or Agamyxis in your 55 gallon? The platydoras I had were really aggressive at feeding time and they were only 2 inches or so I assumed if they were 8 to 10 inches they would be a handful in a 75 gallon. I plan on upgrading some day, but I like to stock the tank that I have and not the one I plan to have in the future.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”