Breeding Whiptails?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
CatWhat
My cats species list: 16 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Newfoundland,Canada

Breeding Whiptails?

Post by CatWhat »

I have had two pairs of whiptail catfish (Hemiloricaria fallax) for a couple of years and have not seen any spawning behavior from them despite my efforts. But I guess my efforts should be described.
I have tried: - designated breeding tank including breeding decor (pipes)
- lots of feedings of bloodworms, zucchini and sinking pellets)
- lots of water changed with cooler water.
Now I maybe doing something wrong or have missed something. I am wondering about the water parameters, my tap water has a pH of about 7.6 and is moderately hard. So should I be trying to get them in some softer water if I want a shot at breeding them?
Narwhal72
I've donated: $100.00!
My cats species list: 100 (i:0, k:4)
My BLogs: 29 (i:0, p:400)
Spotted: 32
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Milwaukee, WI
Interests: Whiptails, hoplo cats, corys, plecos

Re: Breeding Whiptails?

Post by Narwhal72 »

I bred mine in very soft RO water. That may be the problem. I never really check pH but when I do it is often on the alkaline side even with the soft water.
CatWhat
My cats species list: 16 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Newfoundland,Canada

Re: Breeding Whiptails?

Post by CatWhat »

Sounds like a plan to me. I actually have an RO/DI unit that I have not setup yet. I did buy it for just that, breeding soft water species and perhaps a marine setup in the future. But never got around to setting it up. Looks like I got to get my act together a get that unit going, plus with that being done I might be able to start breeding my Bucktooth tetras.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”