Do Honeycomb Catfish Squeak?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
BrynnaCC
My cats species list: 1 (i:1, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: Los Angeles
Location 2: USA

Do Honeycomb Catfish Squeak?

Post by BrynnaCC »

I have eleven honeycomb catfish in a 40 gallon breeder that sits by my bed. Lately, at night, I've been hearing odd grunting noises coming from the tank. At first, I thought that maybe they were scraping their fins against the acrylic, but I looked in the tank last night during one of the sounds, and two of my males were having a spat nowhere near the sides of the aquarium. Has anyone else experienced this? The sound is similar to that of talking catfish, albeit quieter, but I can't seem to find any info on them doing it.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: Do Honeycomb Catfish Squeak?

Post by bekateen »

Perhaps you're hearing the sounds of pectoral fins scraping/clicking?
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
BrynnaCC
My cats species list: 1 (i:1, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: Los Angeles
Location 2: USA

Post by BrynnaCC »

I thought it might be fins scraping, but the moment I caught them making the sound, they were in a T position (one had the other's fin in its mouth). It's not really a click sound. It's more like an "enh, enh" sound (apologies for the less than scientific onomatopoeia).
Lycosid
My cats species list: 7 (i:0, k:2)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: United States
Location 2: North Carolina

Post by Lycosid »

Many catfish do appear to be capable of producing swim-bladder noises as well as pectoral fin noises. The pectoral fin noises can include stridulation where a bone is rubbed across a series of ridges or bumps on another bone. This is the same way crickets and cicadas produce noises. Neither of those sound much like a click and they also don't sound much like each other, suggesting that stridulation can give you a pretty big range of noises. I would guess that the "enh" is stridulatory, and if it's involved in antagonistic interactions it may be a threat sound, a way of saying, "Hey, listen to how deep this noise is - I've got enormous pectoral spines." If it were swim-bladder produced I'd expect it to sound more like a drum or other air-filled object being vibrated.
panaque
My images: 7
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:0, p:24)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Cornwall, United Kingdom
Location 2: Cornwall, United Kingdom

Post by panaque »

Yes I've noticed this too. When you shine a torch into a female's cave to check on a brood they often make that sound.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”