My Striped Raphael Cat is in serious need of help

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Doctor_Murderstein
Location 1: United States
Location 2: Iowa

My Striped Raphael Cat is in serious need of help

Post by Doctor_Murderstein »

My Catfish has two problems. One is that septicemia is trying to kill him. I might have that part under control as I'm treating with broad spectrum antibiotics and melafix. The other problem is growths on his face and head and eyes that have rendered him blind. I've included pictures. Right now he is very weak but he is less red than he was yesterday, which makes me think the antibiotics are working. Yesterday the white parts on him were all bright blood red. He's still lethargic and not accepting food but I think it's a good sign that he looks less inflamed and irritated than he did 24 hours ago.

http://imgur.com/a/dGvWt

There's a picture of him today. I had to remove him from the water momentarily for the picture because his hospital tank doesn't have clear sides. He normally lives in a 125g community of catfish and loaches. The temperature is normally somewhere around the mid seventies, ph is 7.3, and tests read 0-0-0 as I've got lots of filtration and live plants. The tank gets a 50+% water change every week and the canister filters are cleaned out monthly.

I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer. I'm fond of this guy and want him to get healthy again.
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Re: My Striped Raphael Cat is in serious need of help

Post by Bas Pels »

Frackly, I see nothing wrong with the fish, apart from it being skinny and the eyes are turbid. This eye condition can however be the result of bacteria you are already fighting
cats have whiskers

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”