Are bumblebee catfish diggers?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
pictuswhiptail
My cats species list: 8 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
Location 1: Coast of Maine
Location 2: USA
Interests: Catfish, guitar, writing, reading

Are bumblebee catfish diggers?

Post by pictuswhiptail »

I want to put two Bumblebee Catfish in a tank with a sand substrate but not if they will just dig and bury themselves. I don't want them to vanish under the sand. I am aware Bumblebee Catfish are not known for their social skills, but it just seems such a waste to buy fish that will just bury themselves and never be seen....
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Re: Are bumblebee catfish diggers?

Post by Bas Pels »

If you provide sufficient cover, they will not bury themselves. But they wil hide.

In fact, I think American bumblebees are the best catfish for a catfish hater - normally one never sees them, they are strickly nocturnal. I used to have one who´s favourite hiding place was under a stonde, leaning to the front glas. That is, every day I saw it, in the same place, but I never saw the other 5
cats have whiskers
BullFishkeeping
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
Location 1: Ontario
Location 2: Canada
Interests: Platydoras armatulus fanboy

Re: Are bumblebee catfish diggers?

Post by BullFishkeeping »

Bas Pels wrote: 25 Feb 2017, 08:44 In fact, I think American bumblebees are the best catfish for a catfish hater - normally one never sees them, they are strickly nocturnal.
I think this may depend on the tank you keep them in. I have 3, and all of them will actively come out the moment any food is in the tank. They live in a 15 gallon with 2 juvenile banjo catfish and 3 juvenile Platydoras armatulus.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”