Fisher's Woodcats

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
BullFishkeeping
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
Location 1: Ontario
Location 2: Canada
Interests: Platydoras armatulus fanboy

Fisher's Woodcats

Post by BullFishkeeping »

Hello,

Just yesterday I was at a new LFS, and it looks like someone dropped off 6 Fisher's Woodcats. I picked up 4 of them, and I'm hoping for a pair out of the bunch to attempt breeding. I would have gotten all 6, but at $60 a pop it was already a rather expensive purchase I wasn't accounting on. Maybe if the two are still there in a couple weeks I'll round it up to 6, though I doubt this rare cat will stay around long. Can't believe these were just dropped off!

Here's a gif of them, currently in my 65 gallon South American tank with a Juv. Jack Dempsey, Juv. Striped Raphael Cat, adult 6" Striped Raphael Cat, and adult Bristlenose Pleco. They took to some massivore this morning, and immediately after eating went from super active, to napping. Lights just shut off and they're out and about again. Managed to shoot the footage above after spooking them trying to clean the intake strainer on my canister.
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Re: Fisher's Woodcats

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Wow indeed. I've never even come across one for sale (in person). Nice score! Sharp-looking cats in a gorgeous tank.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
BullFishkeeping
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
Location 1: Ontario
Location 2: Canada
Interests: Platydoras armatulus fanboy

Re: Fisher's Woodcats

Post by BullFishkeeping »

On day two, they're extremely active. Bit shy if I put a hand in the tank, but other than that totally relaxed - they even investigate a finger on the glass. Eating well, too.

I did manage to get 2 males and 2 females, so expect a breeding project to start up within 6 months - 1 year.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”