P. Pictus

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Psy
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
Location 1: NJ, USA

P. Pictus

Post by Psy »

I put 3 in my 120g (48x24x24 inches).

They have not stopped moving for 3 weeks. I am pretty sure they are the most active fish I have ever seen, including tiger barbs. Stole food out of the swordtails mouths. Those aren't exactly retiring fish either.

Now I want a few more, but keep wondering what would happen if I found them a 6 foot tank, would they stop taking laps?

(and my dream pond for big Pims keeps getting bigger and bigger... if their 6 inch cousins are dominating a 120!)
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Re: P. Pictus

Post by Bas Pels »

P pictus is a scholing species, and 3 is not a school.

Scholing species, if kept with too few have two responses, they can either become very outgoing, pretending to be able to withstand more than they can, or reclusive.

Your fish obviously took the first reaction. Therefore, I would assume adding a few more, 10 is a school would quiet your tank a lot.

But, this species is said to be the most active of all Pimelodus.
cats have whiskers
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

I love them. Got 27 myself.

Agree with Bas, perhaps with an unimportant addition that they are a shoaling species as school means a tight formation and unisone movement. Shoal is a more loose association with each other.

You have lucked out in that they haven't turned reclusive or even territorial (both of which may still come in the future) and in that you got your trio exhibiting all the best traits these little quirky perpetuum mobile's are known for.

I'd take it all in daily as it may not last forever :) Even if you give them a bigger tank, it may cease or change otherwise because every tank is different and the tank size is only one of a rather large number of the factors that enable one or another behavior.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

Never knew a school is not a shoal. Something to look further into

But then, English is not my native tongue, and in Dutch it is either a school (we use this same word) or not.
cats have whiskers
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

I've not known either until I watched Rachel O'Leary's video:

Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com