Hypoptopoma sp. Peru “white”

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
AlyssaBentley
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 2
Spotted: 4
Location 1: United States of America
Location 2: Washington State

Hypoptopoma sp. Peru “white”

Post by AlyssaBentley »

So I picked up these little guys from a shop in Minnesota and brought them home to Washington (USA). They are labeled “Hypoptopma sp. Peru ‘White’”. I’ve been told maybe they’re from southern peru... but I can’t seem to find any real information about them.

So far they eat green beans, seem to be happy when I put BacterAE in the tank, seem to ignore bloodworms, and will munch on Repashy Soilent Green. I am currently trying to make sure they are used to my softer water before moving them to the tank full of sticks and moss and floating plants I have for them.

Anyone have any other info on them?

Also, hiiiii... this is my first post here, though I’ve been using this site as a reference for over a decade lol...
Attachments
Hypoptopoma sp. Peru white in QT
Hypoptopoma sp. Peru white in QT
Hypoptopoma sp. Peru “white” in QT
Hypoptopoma sp. Peru “white” in QT
beau
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Vero Beach, FL.

Re: Hypoptopoma sp. Peru “white”

Post by beau »

Hi, This is my first post too and I use it as a reference as well. They look similar to the otocinclus cocama. This is the first time I have seen these available. Nice find. I've had the nannoptopoma peru, the orange zebra oto. They are pretty much the same but with an orange head. I kept them in RO water and added a GH booster with live plants and a piece of manzanita driftwood. I feed them garnelenhaus algae shrimp sticks which they fought over. Wet Spot Tropical Fish in Portland, OR gets some rare oto's as well. Good luck with them. Jim
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Re: Hypoptopoma sp. Peru “white”

Post by Jools »

There isn't that much information about them. They were first imported in the mid 2000s after being found in a remote location I think Western more than southern Peru but the location was one of those not disclosed by the collectors.

Care is pretty much for the rest of the genus, mostly greens from flat surfaces if possible they will learn to eat prepared foods without too much difficulty.

Jools

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”