Pimelodus Pictus Lifespan

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Fishaliciousfish
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:1)
Location 1: NL
Location 2: NL

Pimelodus Pictus Lifespan

Post by Fishaliciousfish »

I am thinking of stopping my hobby i.e. downsizing from my 152 Gallon tank. I have health issues and this big boy is too much for me to keep up with.
I have been planning on stopping for 4 years now and have slowly seen my fish leave me for fishy heaven except for my 2 Pimelodus Pictus and around 5000 red crystal shrimp (I had put a few in to clean algae but they took over in the last 4 years) So I have this humongous tank with just shrimp and the two last cool cats. I cannot stop until they have left as nobody wants to take them over or those that do have tiny tanks - not happening!

I just checked and I bought them in May 2008 - that means these two are already 12 years old but everything online points to them only reaching 4-8 years. I am of course not wishing them dead but am baffled that they are already so old... any other owners that can point me to their correct lifespan? Will I be keeping the tank for another 10 years?
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Re: Pimelodus Pictus Lifespan

Post by Bas Pels »

As I never kept them, I can't answer you. But are you certain you cannot place them anywhere?

You might try a hobbyforum, I am moderator on www.hetncf.nl. This is mainly cichlid oriented.

If you happen to live closeby, you also may bring them along.
cats have whiskers
Fishaliciousfish

I have tried several places and at the local aquarium club. The only people who seem willing to take them are people with tanks that are in my eyes too small and as much as I want to stop, I care for them too much to just put them anywhere. I will sit down and sign up to your forum tonight and give it another go. I am guessing there age will also have a big influence on anyone wanting them as well.

They are beautiful and lively, still having feeding frenzies and I love their clicking sounds at night so hopefully they can bring joy to someone else.
www.fishaliciousfish.blogspot.com
Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels »

And apparently you don't live closeby

They could join my 2 Platydoras of 27 and 2 Pt gibbiceps of 16 in the 4 meter tank.
cats have whiskers
Fishaliciousfish

Nijmegen is not that far and a 4 meter tank sounds like a dream.
I don't mind taking a road trip if you would welcome them...don't worry, I won't hang about and be annoying lol
www.fishaliciousfish.blogspot.com
Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels »

pm sent

I think we can do the rest that way