What is the difference between tatia and glanidium?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
tatiaman
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Japan
Location 2: Hokkaido

What is the difference between tatia and glanidium?

Post by tatiaman »

Could you tell me the difference?

I'm sorry for my bad English...
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: What is the difference between tatia and glanidium?

Post by bekateen »

They are two different genera (genus) of Auchenipteridae catfish. Is that what you want to know? Or do you mean something else?

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
tatiaman

Post by tatiaman »

bekateen wrote: 12 Mar 2020, 01:16 They are two different genera (genus) of Auchenipteridae catfish. Is that what you want to know? Or do you mean something else?

Cheers, Eric
Thank you for replies!
Those species look the same to me.
So, I want to know way to distinguish those species.
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

I´m afraid this is a hard question, there is hardly any information regarding Glanidium in the Cat e log

Obviously, there mst be SOME reason this genus was erected, but I can´t tell you
cats have whiskers
tatiaman

Post by tatiaman »

Bas Pels wrote: 12 Mar 2020, 11:12 I´m afraid this is a hard question, there is hardly any information regarding Glanidium in the Cat e log

Obviously, there mst be SOME reason this genus was erected, but I can´t tell you
Oh,I see.
According to Japanese famous aquarium magazine,way to distinguish is that tatia has film on eye,but glanidium doesn't.
However, I can't in this way...
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

This might help: Several Auchenipteridae were reclassified after a large scale analysis of them. It is summarized in this post from another thread. I've changed an important part of the text to red for emphasis.

Cheers, Eric
Silurus wrote: 14 Sep 2019, 15:22Calegari, B.B., Vari, R.P., and R.E. Reis. (2019). Phylogenetic systematics of the driftwood catfishes (Siluriformes: Auchenipteridae): a combined morphological and molecular analysis. Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society, 187(3): 661-773.

DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/zoolinnean/zlz036

Abstract
A comprehensive phylogeny of species relationships of the Auchenipteridae is reconstructed here with a large-scale taxon sampling based on combined morphological and molecular datasets. The hypothesized phylogeny includes most species of Auchenipteridae (97 of 124 valid species) and multiple members of siluriform families as an outgroup (32 species) to embrace the diversity of forms among related catfishes. As the first large-scale phylogeny of the Auchenipteridae, comparison between taxa included information from both morphology (264 characters) and mitochondrial and nuclear molecular markers (3490 nucleotides) from five genes: coI, 16S, rag2, myh6 and SH3PX3. Trees were generated under two different optimality criteria (Maximum Parsimony and Bayesian Inference). A new classification for the family is presented herein to bring the taxonomy more in line with the new phylogenetic hypothesis. The strict consensus tree corroborates the monophyly of superfamily Doradoidea, family Auchenipteridae and its two subfamilies, Centromochlinae and Auchenipterinae. The new classification scheme proposes nine tribes in Auchenipteridae, based on the monophyly of major groups in both subfamilies. Centromochlus, Glanidium and Tatia are each recovered as paraphyletic. To maintain a monophyletic classification, some species treated as Tatia and Centromochlus are assigned to genera not previously recognized as valid.
lfinley58 wrote: 16 Sep 2019, 20:05Hi Chris and all.

I'm happy to try to provide a quick answer to your question. The authors of the paper (which is long and complex) do provide upfront a listing of the auchenipterid species and make note of any name changes that they propose in the paper. I will make note of their proposed changes below, but will answer your specific questions first. The name Tatia musaica is not changed, but Centromochlus perugiae becomes Duringlanis perugiae.

With that said I will note that four new genus names are proposed in this paper - Duringlanis, Balroglanis, Ferrarissoaresia and Gephyromochlus. These are not new names. The first three had been proposed as new subgenera names in Centromochlus by Steven Grant (a forum member) in a paper published in 2015. There has been little note of these names and the Catalog of Fishes considered them as invalid synonyms. Grant had also used the name Sauronglanis, but in the current paper this name usage is not accepted. The last name had been proposed as a subgenus in the original description of Centromochlus leopardus.

Now for the name changes proposed in the new paper:
Centromochlus altae becomes Duringlanis altae.
Centromochlus bockmanni becomes Tatia bockmanni.
Centromochlus britskii becomes Tatia britskii.
Centromochlus concolor becomes Tatia concolor.
Centromochlus ferrarisi becomes Ferrarissoaresia ferrarisi.
Centromochlus macracanthus becomes Balroglanis macracanthus.
Centromochlus meridionalis becomes Ferrarissoaresia meridionalis.
Centromochlus orca becomes Tatia orca.
Centromochlus perugiae becomes Duringlanis perugiae.
Centromochlus punctatus becomes Tatia punctata.
Centromochlus romani becomes Duringlanis romani.
Centromochlus schultzi becomes Balroglanis schultzi.
Centromochlus simplex becomes Tatia simplex.
Glanidium leopardum becomes Gephyromochlus leopardus.
Tatia carolae becomes Balroglanis carolae.
Trachycorystes porosus becomes Trachelyopterus porosus.

As a wrap up brief comments on the etymology of the new genus names from Grant's paper are probably called for. The names Duringlanis and Balroglanis are based on characters from J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. The name Ferrarissoaresia honors Carl Ferraris and Luisa Maria Sarmento-Soares for their various works with the centromochlid catfishes.

Lee
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

If I remember correctly, adult male don't develop strongly modified anal fins as per their sister centromochline taxa such as , etc.

Hope that helps,

Jools

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”