Batrochoglanis Peru I.D.

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
yellowcat
I've donated: $105.00!
My images: 74
My cats species list: 38 (i:36, k:15)
Spotted: 40
Location 1: Los Angeles
Location 2: USA
Interests: auchenoglaninae, pimelodidae, pseudopimelodidae, doradidae

Batrochoglanis Peru I.D.

Post by yellowcat »

Continuing on, identifying batrochoglanis sp. from anywhere can be difficult, from Peru more so as much research show only 2 species found there, the more common b. raninus and b. villosus. I know fore sure more can be found there but little or no data exists that I can find. I do have on file many published scientific papers of discoveries and revisions of the genus but even those rarely mention any other species of Peruvian fish. I suspect that species shown to be from Colombia, Venezuela and Brazil may also exist in Peru but never described or documented. Here's a photo from an exporter in Iquitos Peru with a similar species:
NOVIA JUMBO (25 CM) 5 - 5 OCT 2012.jpg
Here's another photo of my new fish:
IMG_0450.jpg
Many photos to be found in scientific papers are usually of preserved specimens, few or none seem available of live fish. This next photo is of a specimen that looks more like my fish than anything else found, not sure of it's validity but found on FishBase said to be batrochoglanis acanthrochiroides:
B. acanthochiroides copy.jpg
Problem is that it's from Colombia, not Peru. Anyway I'm not sure where to add it in to "My Cats" page, nor where it may fit in the Cat-eLog - Batrochoglanis species (?). In any case thrilled, stoked, chuffed to find it!
Africa: Claroteidae- P. monkei, 3-P. punctatus, A. occidentalis-Volta, 3-A. biscutatus, 2-N. macrostoma. Mocho.- syno. batensoda, 2-syno. pardalis. South America: Pimelodids-p. blochii, 2-platysilurus mucosus. Pseudopim's- 2-lophiosilurus alexandri, batrochoglanis cf. villosus. Doradidae-anadoras grypus, 2-rhinodoras dorbigny, 2-wertheimeria maculata
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 140 (i:102, k:37)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 38
Spotted: 175
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: Batrochoglanis Peru I.D.

Post by bekateen »

yellowcat wrote: 25 Mar 2021, 22:57Many photos to be found in scientific papers are usually of preserved specimens, few or none seem available of live fish. This next photo is of a specimen that looks more like my fish than anything else found, not sure of it's validity but found on FishBase said to be batrochoglanis acanthrochiroides:B. acanthochiroides copy.jpg Problem is that it's from Colombia, not Peru. Anyway I'm not sure where to add it in to "My Cats" page, nor where it may fit in the Cat-eLog - Batrochoglanis species (?). In any case thrilled, stoked, chuffed to find it!
Yes, this last photo has been confirmed to be . For more info, see this post here: viewtopic.php?p=328542#p328542

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”