A quick and un-nuanced tranlation of the original description of Rhyacoglanis variolosus

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 140 (i:102, k:37)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 38
Spotted: 175
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

A quick and un-nuanced tranlation of the original description of Rhyacoglanis variolosus

Post by bekateen »

Pseudopimelodus variolosus, Mir. Rib°.
Est. I fig. 2 ; est. II figs. 1 e 2.
D. 1+5 ; A. 7.
Cabeça 3 e 1/4 ou 3 e 1/5 no comprimento ; bocca perfeitamente anterior, com as mandíbulas eguaes ; dentição com os prolongamentos posteriores segundo a forma geral, porém, um pouco mais abertos. Barbilhões maxillares chegando a orla opercular posterior ; post mentaes quasi chegando á base do aculeo peitoral ; mentaes não chegando ao meio dos post- mentaes. Narinas posteriores proximas e para cima da orla anterior da orbita. Orbitas pequenas, 3 vezes no focinho 2 e 1/2 no espaço interorbital ; olhos subcutaneos. Fontanella pequena, pouco posterior aos olhos. Processo humeral robusto, sub-cutaneo ; uma protuberancia escapular na axilla da abertura opercular ; processo occipital pequeno, encontrando a placa prédorsal , ambos sub cutaneos bem como todos os ossos da cabeça. Altura 5 e 3/4 no comprimento. Peitoraes amplas, com o aculeo muito fórte, amplamente dentado nos dous bordos, as denticulações do anterior sub-cutaneas; tem a ponta seguida d'um filamento que quasi attinge a base das ventraes. Estas articulando-se sob os dous ultimos raios dorsaes e não attingindo a anal. Dorsal originando-se sobre o extremo do processo humeral, com o aculeo forte, denticulado no apice do anterior e em toda a extensão do bordo posterior. Adiposa moderada, nascendo um pouco aquem da origem e terminando egualmente aquem do extremo da anal. Caudal furcada, com o lóbo superior mais fraco, estreito e menor que o inferior. Cor fundamental ochracea ; cabeça denegrida, tres fachas transversas purpureas no corpo, uma sobre a dorsal, outra sobre a adiposa e outra na base da cauda. As duas primeiras d'essas maculas as vezes confluentes. Outra barra da mesma cor em cada uma das nadadeiras. Toda a pelle revestida de granulações de dous typos — umas, maiores, circulares na cabeça e alongadas no corpo; outras menores, punctiformes, entre as maiores. Taes granulações fazem lembrar as pustulas da varíola.
4 exemplares de Coxim, no Rio Taquary, M. Grosso, 3 de S. Manoel e todos colleccio nados pelo Snr. F.C. Hoehne.
Maior comprimento 55 millimetros.
Uncorrected translation to English:
Head 3 and 1/4 or 3 and 1/5 in length; perfectly anterior mouth, with equal jaws; dentition with posterior extensions according to the general shape, but a little more open. Maxillary barbels reaching posterior opercular rim; post mentaes almost reaching the base of the pectoral aculeus; mentaes not reaching the middle of the postmentaes. Posterior nostrils close to and above the anterior edge of the orbit. Small orbits, 3 times on snout 2 and 1/2 in interorbital space; subcutaneous eyes. Fontanella small, slightly posterior to eyes. Robust humeral process, subcutaneous; a scapular bulge in the axilla of the opercular opening; small occipital process, meeting the predorsal plate, both sub cutaneous as well as all the bones of the head. Height 5 and 3/4 in length. Chests broad, with a very strong aculeus, widely indented on both edges, the denticulations of the anterior subcutaneous; it has the tip followed by a filament that almost reaches the base of the ventricles. They are articulating under the last two dorsal rays and not reaching the anal one. Dorsal originating on the extreme of the humeral process, with the aculeus strong, indented at the apex of the anterior and along the entire length of the posterior edge. Moderate adipose, starting a little below the origin and ending just below the end of the anal. Forked flow, with the upper lobe weaker, narrower and smaller than the lower. Ochraceous fundamental color ; denigrated head, three transverse purple streaks on the body, one over the dorsal, one over the adipose and another at the base of the tail. The first two of these macules sometimes confluent. Another bar of the same color on each of the fins. The entire skin coated with granulations of two types—some larger, circular on the head and elongated on the body; others smaller, punctiform, among the larger ones. Such granulations resemble smallpox pustules.
4 specimens from Coxim, in Rio Taquary, M. Grosso, 3 from S. Manoel and all collected by Snr. F.C. Hoehne.
Longest length 55 millimeters.
I will update this when I fix the text later. But ran out of time this evening.

Cheers, Eric
Attachments
Rhyacoglanis variolosus.png
Rhyacoglanis variolosus 2.png
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”