Banjo cats and sand

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
lfinley58
Expert
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 3
My images: 3
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Margate
Location 2: Florida USA
Interests: Catfishes (all), Aquarium History

Banjo cats and sand

Post by lfinley58 »

Hi all,

In relation to another post (which appears closed) dealing with banjo cats and sand: While a very fine sand is an option for a substrate for these fishes another good option is the use of leaves. From what experiences I have had collecting banjo cats (in Brazil and Peru) they were usually found in areas that contained a heavy layer of leaves and/or leaf litter on the bottom. There are actually places that will sell you leaves, but "collecting your own" is another option. If you can find some well soaked leaves in a pond to start with, all the better. You can also collect some "aged ground leaves", put them in a bucket or styro box and fill with water and let them age a bit. In any case, it is good to boil them nicely afterward. This will kill any unwanted critters and help to quicken the process of removing any potentially hazardous properties. I have used already water aged maple and oak leaves (and probably a few unknown others) in this fashion with no problems.

Of course there is one problem. Once you set up a tank bottom with a nice leaf cover you are very likely not to see your banjos very often.....but they will be in an at least somewhat natural environment and probably be very happy with it.

Lee
Fish_Tank
Location 1: Christchurch, New Zealand
Interests: FISH!!!!!

Post by Fish_Tank »

One question on this, wont the leaves rot making more amonia and thus lessing the total max bio-load of the tank?
I can resist everything except temptation....
--Oscar Wilde
lfinley58
Expert

Post by lfinley58 »

Hi Fish Tank and all,

Re leaves in aquaria: Granted, anything organic is going to break down over time. But the leaves mentioned in my initial post do seem to take their time for such things and I have never experienced any problems of note. Of course, regular water changes coupled with some bottom siphoning of any broken down material will help prevent any potential problems.

Lee
Fish_Tank
Location 1: Christchurch, New Zealand
Interests: FISH!!!!!

Post by Fish_Tank »

That brings up another question.....how would you do gravel vacs with leaves on the bottom? wouldn't they get sucked up the siphon?
I can resist everything except temptation....
--Oscar Wilde
lfinley58
Expert

Post by lfinley58 »

Patience and a wide intake siphon. Tanks with lots of Java moss may offer similar thrills.

Lee
TiGrInUs
Location 1: USA

Post by TiGrInUs »

I have boiled maple leaves and used them with my banjos. Just keep up on water changes..
vipervenom
Location 1: Canada

Post by vipervenom »

Can any leaves go in the tank? If I went to a lake and found some leaves already sunken to the bottom, but I'm not sure what they are, can I boil them and put them in my tank? I don't have any Banjo cats but I do have a leaf fish that would appreciate the leaves.
vv

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”