Amateur, experience-based "revision" of Auchenoglanis giraffe catfish notes 5 species in the aquarium trade

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Amateur, experience-based "revision" of Auchenoglanis giraffe catfish notes 5 species in the aquarium trade

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Our personal, experience-based, humble amateur overview of the genus of giraffe catfish "recognizing" 5 kinds that we see in the aquarium trade.

Answers to the eternal questions:

- Is my giraffe catfish a dwarf kind?
- What kind is it?
- How big will it grow?
- What tank is proper for it?
- Will it outgrow my tank?

ID pointers of the different kinds.

- biscutatus
- bouche
- niger
- volta
- congo/wittei

Last edited by Viktor Jarikov on 25 Oct 2021, 19:44, edited 1 time in total.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
yellowcat
I've donated: $105.00!
My images: 74
My cats species list: 38 (i:36, k:15)
Spotted: 40
Location 1: Los Angeles
Interests: auchenoglaninae, pimelodidae, pseudopimelodidae, doradidae

Re: Amateur, experience-based "revision" of Auchenoglanis giraffe catfish notes 5 species in the aquarium trade

Post by yellowcat »

Nicely done, Viktor! Thanks for going to the trouble to produce this, indeed a very practical guide to identify the most commonly available giraffe catfish in the trade. I completely agree with the conclusions reached in the video. Since scientific analysis of the various species found in auchenoglanidae is not agreed upon from early and later revisions of the genus, your study will provide a very useful way to I.D. most specimens encountered in the hobby...
Africa: Claroteidae- P. monkei, 3-P. punctatus, A. occidentalis-Volta, 3-A. biscutatus, 2-N. macrostoma. Mocho.- syno. batensoda, 2-syno. pardalis. South America: Pimelodids-p. blochii, 2-platysilurus mucosus. Pseudopim's- 2-lophiosilurus alexandri, batrochoglanis cf. villosus. Doradidae-anadoras grypus, 2-rhinodoras dorbigny, 2-wertheimeria maculata
Viktor Jarikov

Re: Amateur, experience-based "revision" of Auchenoglanis giraffe catfish notes 5 species in the aquarium trade

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Thank you, Kirk! I can exhale now. Your stamp of approval means a lot to me... as has your friendly and authoritative help over the past 10 years + in identifying the giraffe cat species.

(Now if only Birger likes it, I could exhale the other lung... but I am afraid he might not :) )

Feel free to cross over to the other side and offer criticism too, when/if you got it. It's a humble effort.

I already see one small error - our male Volta baby picture (from WetSpot, all pink) is wrong, I showed the wrong one of the two present in the photo, looks like a wittei, our volta baby was facing the camera and poorly observed.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Post by Birger »

The main question I would have (not necessarily the only one) is where would you put A. senegali, they have been available, and are definitely out there. You do cover basic species but there are still many more.

Birger

I see it is now considered a synonym of biscutatus in COF.
Birger
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Thank you so much Birger! Based on the Cat-eLog in its current state, A. senegali belong with the biscutatus, per my overview.

But then, my crude and humble overview disagrees with a whole bunch of picture assignments in the Cat-eLog entries for the Auchenoglanidae.
Last edited by Viktor Jarikov on 25 Oct 2021, 19:47, edited 1 time in total.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Some more footage, some good closeups, of the Niger and the Volta giraffe catfish:

https://youtu.be/1T8n9-wOzd8
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Post by Birger »

I would be careful calling this a review especially to the general public.
I doubt you have specimens available of each "species" to study.
just my opinion.
Birger
Birger
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Thank you Birger. Your opinions are precious to me. I am not implying any kind of science and by far any kind of taxonomic completeness in terms of the extant species. I believe I know its place. It's the humblest, hobbyist fish-keeper review that may carry some misidentifications, misjudgments and holes and only has a measly ~100 man-hours invested in the immediate preparation of it (not counting the years of raising all the Auchenoglanis giraffe catfish species I could lay my hands on and reading about them, etc.).

I do believe that in terms of "completeness as observed in the aquarium fish trade", it has a shot, albeit even there it is more than likely incomplete. I agree.

If your objection is to semantics, I could call it almost any kind of known synonyms:

re·view
a formal assessment or examination of something with the possibility or intention of instituting change if necessary: "a comprehensive review of defense policy"
Similar: analysis evaluation assessment appraisal examination investigation scrutiny inquiry exploration probe inspection study audit; rare: anatomization
a critical appraisal of a book, play, movie, exhibition, etc., published in a newspaper or magazine:
"she released her debut solo album to rave reviews"
Similar: criticism critique write-up notice assessment evaluation judgment rating commentary piece article column; informal: crit

Please, suggest a replacement word and I will do my best to swap the word "review" in my posts on YouTube, Planet Catfish, and Monster Fish Keepers.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

It's hard work producing something like this, so well done on the effort.

Seeing as we're talking about it, perhaps best titled as your experience or opinion - if it were me, I'd call it my overview of forms (or patterning); species as you say in the video is a tricky word to use within this genus. Also, if it helps, bouche you would pronounce as boosh.

Jools
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Thank you Jools on all accounts.

I have edited the posts but will you please edit the thread title to "Amateur, experience-based overview of Auchenoglanis giraffe catfish notes 5 kinds in the aquarium trade"?
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

It should now be so, the old title remains where it was used, but we can see the new one and it'll be used ongoing. Seems to work best.

Cheers,

Jools
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Copyright issues about the overview: https://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/vie ... 24#p339124
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com

Return to “African Catfishes”